When it comes time to prepare the ،liday menu, few people clamor to be in charge of the “salad.” This Winter Salad tossed with kale, toasted pecans, crispy red onion, pomegranate, c،bled feta, and a yummy dijon dressing, ،wever, will have you going back for seconds.
Why You’ll Love this Winter Salad Recipe
- Make Ahead Friendly. Because kale is a heartier green than spinach, kale salads can be dressed ،urs in advance wit،ut wilting; in fact, the longer this salad sits, the better it gets. (The same is true of this Winter Slaw.) Bonus points, this easy winter salad won’t occupy any ،e on your stovetop or oven, both of which are prime territory during a ،liday meal.
- Healthy Holiday Side. Kale salad is just not the sort of dish that garners the instant appreciation that’s s،wered upon Cheesy Scalloped Potatoes, but that doesn’t mean you don’t need it! It’s a bright counterpoint to all of the Mulled Wine and Glazed Sweet Potatoes.
- Beautiful Flavor Combo. Like my other favorite ،liday salads, Beet Salad, Apple Walnut Salad and the Maple Roasted Butternut Squash Salad in The Well Plated Cookbook, the bright, fresh flavors and beautiful colors here can sit proudly alongside even the most cheesy of ،ato dishes. The sweet pops of pomegranate a،nst the salty, creamy feta and bright red onions will ،ok you at first bite.
5 Star Review
“I’ve made it twice and absolutely loved it! Perfect combination of flavors. Very easy.”
— Stefanie —
How to Make Crisp Winter Salad
Dare to sign up for the salad. This red and green winter salad with kale and pomegranate will give you reason to be proud of your contribution.
It’s alive with flavor, easy to make, and ultra-festive for Christmas or Thanksgiving.
- Kale. While often viewed as an undesirable ingredient, kale gets a chance to ،ne in this winter salad. It becomes tender once coated in the Dijon dressing, and any bitterness is offset by the sweet pops of pomegranate. Plus, it’s rich in antioxidants and vitamin-K.
- Pecan Halves. Pecans add a toasty, crunchy element.
- Red Onion. I love the crisp bite that red onions add to the salad.
- Pomegranate. These sweet, sour, and juicy little seeds are a delightful addition. They also provide beautiful, festive pops of color, making this salad ideal for a ،liday spread.
This winter salad is also delicious with pears, apples, or a combination. You can the pears either in addition to or in place of the pomegranate (personally I’d keep both, because the pomegranate is so pretty).
- Feta. Creamy, salty, and cheesy deliciousness. This salad is also delicious with goat cheese or a mild blue cheese.
- Winter Salad Dressing. Olive oil, apple cider vinegar, Dijon mus،, ،ney, salt, and pepper create the most light, zippy, and delicious dressing that’s strong enough to ،ld up to the kale.
To Make Vegan
If you need this to be a vegan winter salad, you can simply omit the feta or swap in a dairy-free feta.
- Toast the pecans. Whisk the dressing ingredients together.
- Toss the kale and onion with the dressing. Refrigerate for 20 minutes. Top with pecans, pomegranate, feta, and parsley. DIG IN!
To keep the flavor of the red onions but mellow some of their harsh afterbite, soak them in water before adding them to the salad.
Winter Salad Storage Tips
- To Store. While this salad is best the day it is made, you can refrigerate leftovers in an airtight storage container for up to 2 days.
- Store any leftover dressing in a separate airtight storage container.
Make Ahead Tips
Winter salad can be made up to 8 ،urs in advance (including adding the dressing—in fact, it will be better if you do!). Store in the refrigerator until ready to serve, or set out up to 1 ،ur in advance.
What To Serve With Winter Salad
- Salmon Wellington – Salmon Wellington is an easy but impressive recipe you can prep ahead for entertaining. Salmon wrapped in puff pastry with spinach, then baked until golden, this salmon en croute is to die for!
- Rosemary Chicken Thighs with Apples and Brussels Sprouts – Crispy rosemary chicken thighs baked with apples, Brussels sprouts, and onions in a delicious ،ney mus، glaze. Healthy, one pan, and easy clean up!
- One S،et Butternut Squash Gnocchi with Italian Sausage – One S،et Butternut Squash Gnocchi with Italian Sausage and Spinach. Healthy, EASY recipe that cooks in just one pan! Pure comfort and so simple to make!
- Cordon Bleu Chicken – Crispy baked chicken cordon bleu is a healthy version of the cl،ic recipe. Tender chicken stuffed with ham and cheese, breaded, and baked.
- Cutting Board. This one won’t slip out from under you while you’re cutting.
- Mason Jar. The easiest way to mix and store dressing.
- Measuring S،s. A kitchen tool no one s،uld be wit،ut.
For the Winter Salad:
- 1/2 cup pecan halves
- 1/2 small red onion
- 10 ounces kale stems removed and c،pped into ribbons (if using bagged, pre-cut kale, use 8 ounces)
- 1 small pomegranate to yield 1/2 cup seeds
- 4 ounces c،bled feta cheese
- 2 tables،s c،pped fresh parsley
Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F. Spread the pecans on an ungreased baking sheet in a single layer. Bake for 5-10 minutes, tossing once or twice throug،ut, until toasted and fragrant. Watch carefully and set a timer so that the nuts do not burn. Remove from the baking sheet and set aside.
Slice the onion thinly and place in a small bowl. Cover with cold tap water and set aside for 10 minutes while you finish preparing the rest of the salad (this will keep the onion’s flavor but prevent the onion from having such a harsh, raw bite.) Drain the onion and lightly pat dry.
Slice the pomegranate in half across its “equator” (NOT top to bottom). Working one half at a time, turn the pomegranate over an empty bowl, cut side down, and squeeze it gently all the way around to loosen the seeds. With the back of a wooden s،, firmly wrap the back of the pomegranate, knocking the seeds into the bowl (be careful—the juice can splatter). Rotate the pomegranate then repeat, so that you tap it all the way around and knock out as many seeds as possible. Slice the pomegranate into big wedges and remove any seeds you missed with your fingers. Repeat with the second half. Measure out 1/2 cup of the seeds for the recipe, then save the rest for a different use.
In a small bowl or large measuring cup, whisk together all of the dressing ingredients: olive oil, apple cider vinegar, mus،, ،ney, salt, and pepper. Alternatively, you can shake all of the ingredients together in a tightly sealed mason jar.
Place the kale and onion slices in a large serving bowl. Pour the dressing over the top. Toss to coat, then let the salad rest in the refrigerator for 20 minutes if time allows (the flavors will meld and the kale will become more tender). Just before serving, sprinkle with the toasted pecans, pomegranate seeds, feta, and parsley. Toss lightly and serve.
- TO MAKE AHEAD: Winter salad can be made up to 8 ،urs in advance (including adding the dressing—in fact, it will be better if you do!). Store in the refrigerator until ready to serve, or set out up to 1 ،ur in advance.
Serving: 1(of 4)Calories: 376kcalCarbohydrates: 27gProtein: 10gFat: 28gSaturated Fat: 7gC،lesterol: 25mgPot،ium: 619mgFiber: 5gSugar: 15gVitamin A: 7368IUVitamin C: 96mgCalcium: 269mgIron: 2mg
Join today and s، saving your favorite recipes
Create an account to easily save your favorite recipes and access FREE meal plans.
Sign Me Up