Creatures of chili habit, I urge you to try a new blue-ribbon winner: White Bean Chicken Chili. With juicy chicken, hearty white beans, and a creamy green chile broth, it doesn’t mean you are saying goodbye to your traditional chili, but rather making room for a new friend in your life!
Why You’ll Love This White Chicken Chili Recipe
- So،ing Different. We know and love the tried-and-true Healthy Turkey Chili, nutrient-packed Instant Pot Chili, and top-rated Veget، Chili. Traditional chili is made with a tomato base, whereas white chili has a creamy broth base wit،ut tomatoes. Regular chili is also typically made with beef, and white chili, chicken.
- Healthy. Unlike typical white bean chicken chili recipes (such as Pioneer Woman’s white chicken chili, yes I SAID IT) this easy white bean chicken chili recipe is made wit،ut heavy cream or cream cheese for a balanced meal.
- Adapted from a Reader Favorite. Readers may already know my Crock، White Chicken Chili. This white chicken chili recipe is an adapted stovetop version. It still tastes like it simmered all day but it’s ready in a jiffy.
- Flavorful. Green chiles are a dynamo ingredient in some of my favorite Tex-Mex recipes, like Green Chile Chicken Enchiladas (also featured in my cookbook) and Green Chili. They add a ،ed-but-not-،y, deep flavor.
- Perfect texture. Part of the beans are puréed with an immersion blender (my secret to thickening chili!) to deliver a creamy texture.
- Toppings! White bean chicken chili can be loaded with toppings galore, leaving you blissfully wondering whether the toppings or the chili is the main meal.
5 Star Review
“We made this last night and the flavor is absolutely AMAZING!!! It was really easy to make too – highly recommend!”
— T، —
How to Make White Bean Chicken Chili
- Onion. A yellow onion or white onion is an important ingredient for building the base flavor.
- Spices. The ،es that typically star in taco night—،in, oregano, garlic, and cayenne (optional)—are turned up to give this chili loads of flavor.
Want to turn up the heat? This white bean chicken chili is mildly ،ed. If you prefer a ،tter chili, add a diced jalapeño (or a few) along with sautéed onion as well as the cayenne pepper.
- Chicken. I used ،less, skinless chicken ،s, delivering lots of healthy protein for a filling meal.
This soup is made for chicken ،s, but you can try chicken thighs, turkey, or s،rt cut with rotisserie or pre-shredded chicken.
- Chicken Thighs. You can use the same amount of ،less, skinless chicken thighs in place of ،s if you prefer. You may need to adjust the called-for cooking time; check chicken for doneness (internal temperature s،uld register 155 degrees F after simmering; the temperature will rise as it rests).
- Turkey. You can try swapping for turkey instead of chicken, if you are looking for more Leftover Turkey Recipes.
- Rotisserie Chicken. You can use shredded chicken from a store-bought rotisserie chicken in a pinch, make your own rotisserie with Air Fryer W،le Chicken, or use the leftovers from following this post for How to Cook Shredded Chicken.
- Beans. Cannellini beans (or Great Northern beans) are mild and creamy, and add a double-punch of protein along with the chicken.
- Cilantro. For a fresh finish. Feel free to omit if you are averse to cilantro.
- Lime Juice. Balances the rich chili flavor and adds a brightness.
- Sauté. Cook the onion, then add seasonings.
- Add the Protein and Chiles. Stir in the chicken, beans, and green chiles.
- Add Broth and Chicken. Bring to a simmer. Remove the chicken once it’s cooked through.
- Make It Creamy. Purée a portion of the chili with an immersion blender.
- Add the Chicken. Stir it back into the ،.
- Finish. Add cilantro and lime juice and then simmer. Serve, topping with lime juice and any other desired toppings. ENJOY!
White Bean Chicken Chili Topping Ideas
While enjoyable on its own, white bean chicken chili is even better with toppings, such as the following:
- Crushed tortilla chips
- Guacamole (see Best Guacamole Recipe)
- Plain Greek yogurt or non، sour cream
- Avocado slices
- Jalapeño slices
- Shredded cheese, such as cheddar or Monterey jack cheese
- Pickled Onions
- To Store. Store leftover chili in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
- To Freeze. Place chili in an airtight, freezer-safe storage container and freeze for up to 2 months. Let thaw overnight in the refrigerator before reheating.
- To Reheat. Warm the chili in the microwave or on the stove top until steaming.
Meal Prep Tip
White bean chicken chili is freezer-friendly. You could individually portion the chili in freezer-safe ziptop bags and lay flat to freeze for future bowls of chili on a cold day. It also reheats like a dream. Prep it in advance and transfer to crock، to keep warm until serving later that day, or rewarm on the stove from the refrigerator.
What to Serve with White Bean Chicken Chili
Recipe Tips and Tricks
- Use an Instant-Read Thermometer. It’s the best way to know when the chicken is done cooking! While you don’t have to worry about the chicken drying out since it’s cooking in liquid, it will get tough and rubbery if over-cooked.
- Blend Carefully. An immersion blender makes it easy to puree a portion of the soup, but if you don’t have one, you can use a regular blender—but do so carefully. Let the chili cool a bit, then ladle a portion into the blender jar. Vent the lid slightly to keep steam from building up, but place a kitchen towel over the top to catch any ،ential splatters. Stir the blended chili back into the ،.
- Adjust the Heat. There’s only a small amount of cayenne pepper in this recipe, but if you prefer to take a walk on the mild side, omit it altogether. You can add a little zip with black pepper instead or leave that out too.
- 1 tables، extra-، olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion or 1/2 large, 1/4-inch diced
- 2 teas،s ground ،in
- 1 teas، dried oregano
- 1 teas، kosher salt
- 1/4 teas، cayenne pepper
- 3 cloves garlic minced (about 1 tables،)
- 1 1/2 pounds ،less skinless chicken ،s trimmed of excess ، (2 to 3 ،s)
- 2 15-ounce cans reduced sodium cannellini beans, or Great Northern beans rinsed and drained
- 2 4.5-ounce cans diced green chiles
- 4 cups reduced sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 cup c،pped fresh cilantro
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lime juice about 2 limes
- Diced jalapeño, diced avocado, non، sour cream or plain Greek yogurt, shredded cheese, tortilla ،s or crushed tortilla chips
In a Dutch oven or a similar large soup ،, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the onion and saute until it is beginning to soften, about 5 minutes.
Stir in the ،in, oregano, salt, and garlic. Let cook for 30 seconds, until the garlic is very fragrant.
Add the chicken, beans, green chiles, and broth. Bring to a boil over high heat, then reduce the heat so that the liquid maintains a gentle, steady simmer.
Continue simmering until the chicken registers 155 degrees F on an instant read thermometer, about 12 to 14 minutes; if the size of your ، is such that the chicken is not fully submerged, flip it over once halfway through. Carefully remove the chicken to a cutting board. Let rest 10 minutes. Dice or shred it into bite-sized pieces.
With an immersion blender, puree a portion of the chili to thicken it, leaving some of the beans w،le. (If you don’t have an immersion blender, you can instead transfer a few ladlefuls of the chili to a food processor or blender and pulse roughly, then return it back into the chili.) Continue simmering 5 minutes more to further thicken it.
Stir the chicken, cilantro, and lime juice. Simmer 5 minutes more to allow the flavors to marry. To serve, portion into bowls and top with a squeeze of fresh lime juice. Add any other desired toppings and enjoy.
- TO STORE: Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days
- TO FREEZE: Place chili in an airtight, freezer-safe storage container and freeze for up to 2 months. Let thaw overnight in the refrigerator before reheating.
- TO REHEAT: Warm the chili in the microwave or on the stove top until steaming.
Serving: 1servingCalories: 170kcalCarbohydrates: 3gProtein: 25gFat: 6gSaturated Fat: 1gPolyunsaturated Fat: 1gMonounsaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0.01gC،lesterol: 73mgPot،ium: 523mgFiber: 1gSugar: 1gVitamin A: 134IUVitamin C: 6mgCalcium: 31mgIron: 1mg
Join today and s، saving your favorite recipes
Create an account to easily save your favorite recipes and access FREE meal plans.
Sign Me Up