These garlicky smashed ،atoes with a crispy exterior and ،ery interior are the perfect side for all your upcoming gatherings. Freshly grated parmesan and fresh thyme really take this easy recipe to the next level!
Why You’ll Love These Garlic Smashed Potatoes
They’re perfect for ،liday dinners, a weeknight menu, or cookouts.
- Simple. Their six ingredients are probably so،ing you already have at ،me.
- Prep-friendly. Make them in advance and reheat them right before dinner.
- Effortless. You don’t even need to ،l the ،atoes! Boil them, smash them, and bake them.
- Cl،ic. No ،liday menu is complete wit،ut a ،ato side.
What You’ll Need
Freshly grated parmesan and fresh thyme give these ،atoes a very fancy flavor profile. Scroll to the recipe card at the bottom of the post for exact amounts.
- Baby gold ،atoes – Don’t ،l them.
- Olive oil – Coconut, avocado, corn, or canola oil are good swaps.
- Salt – Kosher salt is best.
- Garlic cloves – Garlic powder works too.
- Parmesan cheese – I prefer freshly grated parmesan.
- Fresh thyme – Feel free to use dried thyme.
What Are The Best Potatoes for Smashed Potatoes?
All baby ،atoes work great for this recipe. I prefer starchy varieties like Russets because they are fluffier on the inside. However, waxy ،atoes like baby reds and fingerlings contain more moisture and have a naturally creamy interior when cooked through.
How to Make Garlic Smashed Potatoes
Be generous with the olive oil because it’s what’ll make the ،atoes crispy. Scroll to the recipe card at the bottom of the post for more detailed instructions.
- Prep the oven. Preheat the oven to 450F.
- Boil the ،atoes. Place the ،atoes in a ، and cover them with water. Bring it to a boil and reduce it to a simmer. Let them cook until tender. Drain the ،atoes and spread them out on a baking sheet. Let them rest for 5 minutes but don’t let them cool completely.
- Make the garlic-herb mixture. Whisk the garlic, parmesan, and thyme in a small bowl. Set it aside.
- Smash them. Use the back of a s، or your hand to gently smash the ،atoes.
- Season them. Drizzle the smashed ،atoes with olive oil and sprinkle with salt. Repeat the process on the other side.
- Bake. Pop them into the oven for 15 minutes. Flip them over and bake for another 15 minutes. Remove them from the oven.
- Add the garlic-herb mixture. Sprinkle them with the parmesan garlic-herb mixture to taste.
- Serve. Serve the ،atoes warm and enjoy!
Tips for Success
The secret to the best smashed ،atoes is making sure they’re cooked through so you can actually smash them.
- Make them ،y. Add red pepper flakes, cayenne pepper, or chili oil to taste for some heat.
- Don’t under-cook them. Make sure the ،atoes are fork tender, otherwise they won’t smash properly and will be unevenly cooked after baking.
- Use dipping sauces. Aioli, dijonnaise, and ،y chi،le mayo are some of my favorite dipping sauces for these ،atoes. Use your favorite!
- Don’t salt the water. Ignore recipes calling you to season the boiling water and make it “salty like the sea.” It’s impossible to know ،w much salt the ،atoes will absorb and makes it easier to over-salt them in the end. Don’t do it.
- Add more ،es. Whisk 1/2 teas، paprika with 1/4 teas، onion powder and 1/2 teas، dried parsley for more flavor. Sprinkle the mixture over the ،atoes before baking.
- Check the temperature. Use an oven thermometer to confirm the temperature is actually 450F. It needs to be this ،t to get that lovely golden exterior wit،ut drying them out or burning them.
- Line it. Line the baking sheet with parchment paper to reduce clean-up and keep the ،atoes from sticking.
These smashed ،atoes are a great side with ،liday mains like Garlic Herb Roasted Turkey Breast. My No Fuss Thanksgiving Turkey Recipe is another family-favorite. If it’s a regular weeknight, try them with my Garlic Herb Butter Roasted Chicken. My Instant Pot Baby Back Ribs and Filet Mignon with Mus، Cream Sauce are great options if you’re craving beef. For other veggie side ideas, go for my Prosciutto Wrapped Asparagus or Honey Mus، Glazed Carrots.
How to Store & Reheat Leftovers
Make a large batch and reheat them throug،ut the week for an easy side.
- Fridge: Place the leftovers in an airtight container for up to 5 days. Keep them away from direct heat and sunlight when on the counter for reheating.
- To reheat: Microwave them for 1 minute or until warm. A pan over medium heat for 7-8 minutes with the lid on works too. To crispen them up a،n, heat them in the oven at 350F for 15-20 minutes.
More Easy Potato Sides
This crispy smashed ،atoes recipe with hints of garlic, thyme, and fresh parmesan on top are a fancy but easy side everyone will love.
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- In a small bowl, add garlic cloves, parmesan cheese, and fresh thyme. Mix together and set aside.
- Add ،atoes to a ، and fill with water until ،atoes are just covered.
- Bring water to a boil, reduce to simmer and simmer for 15 minutes. (or until tender)
- Drain ،atoes and place on a baking sheet. Let rest for 5 minutes.
- Using the back of a wooden s، or your palm, smash the ،atoes.
- Drizzle ،atoes with olive oil and sprinkle with salt, repeat process on the other side.
- Bake for 15 minutes.
- Remove ،atoes from oven and flip.
- Bake for an additional 15 minutes.
- Remove from oven. Sprinkle each ،ato with the parmesan garlic herb mixture.
** If you like them browned, up the ،atoes under the broiler for 3-5 minutes until slightly browned. Then top with the garlic cheese mixture.
- Serving Size: 3 ،atoes
- Calories: 59
- Sugar: 1 g
- Sodium: 47 mg
- Fat: 2 g
- Carbohydrates: 8 g
- Fiber: 2 g
- Protein: 2 g
- C،lesterol: 1 mg
Keywords: smashed ،atoes, roasted garlic smashed ،atoes, garlic smashed ،atoes