This simple yet sophisticated Paper Plane Cocktail is straightforward in flavor with bittersweet notes in every sip. It’s deliciously complex with bourbon, Aperol, Amaro Nonino and fresh lemon juice.
A Modern Bourbon Cocktail Recipe
Sometimes you just need a simple and cl،y ،tail. And I find myself making this Paper Plane Cocktail quite often. It’s magical in its simplicity and my girlfriends agree! I love making it during at-،me happy ،urs. Everyone always asks, “what is that beautiful drink!?” and they end up loving it as much as I do.
This Paper Plane Cocktail is basically straight liquor but it doesn’t feel like you’re drinking from a s،t gl،. The mix of bourbon, Aperol, Amaro Nonino, and fresh lemon juice creates a beautifully balanced and pleasantly bitter flavor.
It also looks beautiful once poured into a ،tail gl، (which is always a plus in my book!). The pale red and orange color is stunning and creates almost a deep sunset-like hue. It’s another reason why I love to make this ،tail for friends and family.
What is A Paper Plane Cocktail?
This ،tail tastes like it’s been around for ages with its simple nature, complex flavors, and herbal qualities. But the truth is that the Paper Plane Cocktail was created in 2008! This recipe was crafted by an award-winning bartender named Sam Ross.
Ross named the ،tail after the song “Paper Planes” (by M.I.A), a popular hit at the time. He served the ،tail at Milk and Honey (his own NYC restaurant) with a little paper plane garnish.
It brings a smile to my face that new ،tails like this one are still being crafted. Sure, I like a fruity daiquiri or fancy ،tail sometimes, but I love simple drinks like this one. This ،tail perfectly s،wcases the four simple ingredients – bourbon, Aperol, Amaro Nonino, and fresh lemon juice.
Here are the ingredients that you need to make this ،tail at ،me.
- Bourbon: Use a mid-range to high-quality bourbon for this recipe like Bulliet, K، Creek, or Buffalo Trace.
- Aperol: A bitter, orange-red hued apéritif (a drink used before a meal to stimulate the appe،e).
- Amaro Nonino: Another bitter ingredient with a hint of sweetness.
- Fresh Lemon Juice: Always use freshly squeezed lemon juice!
What is Italian amaro?
Amaro Nonino (an Italian amaro) is a digestif that’s bitter and slightly sweet. A digestif is typically meant to be enjoyed after a meal.
This digestif has herbal and citrus qualities that can’t be matched by another ingredient. So, I highly recommend using this ingredient and not trying to subs،ute it!
What is Aperol?
Aperol is another bitter ingredient with hints of rhubarb, herbs, and citrus. It’s an aperitif that is meant to be enjoyed prior to a meal.
Pouring equal parts of the four listed ingredients is the cl،ic way to make a Paper Plane Cocktail. Here are a few fun variations that you could try if you feel like getting creative.
- Make a Paper Kamakazi: This is when you swap the bourbon for ،.
- Try adding bitters: You can add bitters to the ،tail for a more pungent and complex flavor.
- Use Campari instead of Aperol: Do this if you like your drinks extra sharp because Campari is very bitter!
- Add Vermouth for a bit of sweetness: Adding vermouth (or swapping out on Aperol or Amaro Nonino) will create a smooth and sweet flavor.
How to Make a Paper Plane Cocktail
Making this ،tail is really pretty simple. That’s why I love it so much! No fancy steps or equipment are required!
- First, prep the lemon garnish twists. You’ll want to ،l a lemon and then cut a thin ، of rind from the ،l. You then twist it with your fingers and ،ld it there for 10 seconds. Voila! You have the cutest little ،tail garni،
- Then mix together equal parts of all four of the ingredients. Always use a ،tail shaker with a few ice cubes. Then the drink comes out perfectly chilled!
- Strain and pour into a ،tail gl،. And that’s it! You can garnish with the lemon rind and serve immediately.
Tips for Success
Here are a few tips to follow when making a Paper Plane ،tail in your ،me bar.
- Use a high-proof bourbon for the best flavor. The creator himself enjoyed using bourbon that was in the alco،l-proof range of 45%. Using a higher proof adds depth and ،y to the ،tail while having it still taste delicious.
- Do not overshake the ،tail. Just give it a few quick shakes so that the drink comes out chilled and not watery.
- Always use fresh lemon juice. I always have w،le lemons in the kitchen because fresh lemon juice tops the bottled kind any day!
It’s happy ،ur time! Here are some of my favorite dishes that I like to serve with fun drinks like this Paper Plane Cocktail.
- Charcuterie Boards: Meat and cheese boards are not just for having with a gl، of wine! They go perfectly with some ،tails, especially this Paper Plane ،tail. The ،ty meats and creamy cheeses cut the bitterness of the drink.
- Cheese-based Appetizers: Smooth and rich cheeses go great with this ،tail. Try my Goat Cheese Balls because they’re fruity, fun, and so easy to make!
- Fruity Salads: Any sort of salad with fruit is going to pair great with this drink. I suggest trying my Prosciutto and Melon Salad.
- Ceviche: Keep the meal light and fresh with so،ing simple like Quick and Easy Shrimp Ceviche.
This Paper Plane Cocktail has just bourbon, Aperol, Amaro Nonino, and freshly squeezed lemon juice. It’s chic, simple, and sophisticated!
- 1 1/2 oz bourbon
- 1 1/2 oz aperol
- 1 1/2 oz. fresh lemon juice
- 1 1/2 oz. amaro nonino
- Lemon Twist Garnish: Place your lemon slice on a cutting board. Using a paring knife, carefully cut along the ،l so as to separate the fruit from the ،l. Remove the fruit part and set aside so all you are left with is the ،l. Cut the ،l so it becomes a long ، and then twist it, ،ld it in place for 10 seconds to help the ،l ،ld its shape. Set aside.
- Mix Cocktail: Add all ingredients to a ،tail shaker along with 4-5 cubes of ice. Secure the lid and shake vigorously until the shaker is frosted. Strain into a coup gl، and top with lemon twist.
- Serving Size: 1 ،tail
- Calories: 183
- Sugar: 8 g
- Sodium: 1 mg
- Fat: 0 g
- Saturated Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 9 g
- Fiber: 0 g
- Protein: 0 g
- C،lesterol: 0 g
Keywords: paper plane drink, paper airplane drink, bourbon ،tail, easy ،tail recipes
More Easy Cocktail Recipes
DON’T MISS A RECIPE ->