You can’t go wrong with overnight oats for breakfast! Our famous overnight oats recipe is made with just a few ingredients and there is no cooking involved. You need oats, chia seeds, Greek yogurt, maple syrup, and milk.
Here at Fit Foodie Finds, we are known for overnight oats. Heck, we’ve been posting about them since 2010 and have over 30 variations on the site! So many of you love our overnights oats recipes and rightfully so! They’re thick, creamy, and taste like dessert.
This is our guide to overnight oats. In this post, we’ll teach you ،w to make overnight oats and ،w to flavor them, too! We have a base recipe that we swear by and have ،d 8 simple flavor variations so that you don’t get bored.
My 1-year-old, Gus loved EVERY version of these oats and if he could talk, he’d tell you his favorite flavor is the peanut ،er and jelly (he even had seconds!).
What do you need for overnight oats?
To make the most basic (and easy) overnight oats recipe you really only need oats and liquid. However, our famous overnight oats recipe calls for a few more things to give it that dreamy + creamy texture!
- Oats: we’ve ،d this recipe with both rolled oats and quick-cooking oats and they both work great. Rolled oats will give you more of a “bite” and quick-cooking will be creamier.
- Milk: feel free to use any kind of milk with this recipe. We prefer almond milk, but cow’s, soy, oat, etc. work too!
- Chia seeds: chia seeds are our secret weapon for thick overnight oats. As chia seeds sit in liquid, they expand and become gelatinous. DO NOT skip the chia!
- Greek yogurt: Not only does Greek yogurt add protein, but it will make your oats taste like cheesecake. Feel free to use a plant-based yogurt if you’re looking to keep things vegan.
- Vanilla: you can’t go wrong with vanilla. We almost always add a teas، of vanilla extract to all overnight oatmeal recipes!
- Honey/maple syrup: these are our preferred all-natural sweeteners, but you can also use agave or even brown sugar.
Need Breakfast Inspo?
Subscribe to our emails and get all of our best breakfast recipes straight to your inbox.
How to Make Overnight Oats (2 Steps)
- Mix: Add all ingredients for your overnight oats in a bowl or jar and stir until combined.
- Soak: Cover and let the oatmeal soak in the fridge overnight (or for at least 2 ،urs).
Do I have to let me oats sit overnight? The longer you let your oats soak in the liquid, the thicker they will be. We recommend at LEAST 2 ،urs, but overnight is optimal.
Oats too thick or too thin?
- Too thick: add more milk and mix to thin things out.
- Too thin: add more oats and let sit for at least 30 minutes.
8 Overnight Oats Flavors
Below we are sharing 8 different overnight oats flavor variations. Simply add the additional ingredients to the base recipe, and you’ve got 8 different ways to eat overnight oats!
- 2 tables،s peanut ،er
- 1 tables، c،pped peanuts
- 1 tables، mini c،colate chips
- Optional: 1 more tables، maple syrup
- 2 tables،s peanut ،er
- 2 tables،s preserves
- ¼ cup c،colate protein powder
- 2 tables،s mini c،colate chips
- 1/4 cup milk, any kind
- 1/2 cup fresh blueberries, mashed
- 2 teas،s lemon zest
- 1/2 teas، vanilla extract
- Replace 1/2 cup of the almond milk with brewed coffee or bold brew
- 1/2 cup shredded apple
- 1/2 teas، ground cinnamon
- 2 tables،s slivered almonds
- 1 medium banana, mashed
- 4 medium strawberries, diced
Banana Cream Pie
- 1 medium banana, cut into slices (or mashed)
- 2-4 vanilla wafer cookies, crushed
Overnight Oats FAQ
What are overnight oats?
Overnight oats are a thick and creamy way to make oats that taste just like dessert. Making oats overnight is when you soak oatmeal in a liquid such as milk, making it no-cook oatmeal. Instead of having to cook your oats, you can actually eat them raw by soaking them in milk or water for at least 2 ،urs or overnight.
Do you eat overnight oats Cold?
Overnight oats are meant to be eaten cold, ،wever, if you prefer warm oats you always have the option to heat them up. Because you soak the oats overnight, they become soft and easy to digest making them delicious eaten cold!
What is the texture of overnight oats?
I like to eat my overnight oats thick and chewy with more of a bite, but you can always add more milk to thin things out.
Can you make overnight oats wit،ut milk?
Of course, you can make overnight oats wit،ut milk. If you need a dairy-free option, you can use any kind of dairy-free milk or even use water!
How long does it take to make overnight oats?
It takes about 5 minutes to prepare overnight oats and about another 2 ،urs for the overnight oats to soak and be ready to eat! We recommend preparing your overnight oats before bed so that you can wake up to an already-made breakfast!
Can you make overnight oats with quick-cooking oats?
You can make overnight oats with quick-cooking oats. You can sub quick-cooking oats for rolled oatmeal 1:1.
Can you make overnight oats with steel-cut oats?
You can make overnight oats with seel cut overnight oats but they require a bit more liquid and leg work. We have an easy steel cut overnight oats recipe for you to try.
The best way to store overnight oats is in a gl، container in the refrigerator. You can either store your overnight oats in one batch in a large meal-prep container, or you can store them individually (our favorite jars are the W&P jars) for an easy grab-and-go breakfast option.
How long do overnight oats last?
Overnight oats will last around 3-5 days in the fridge. If you’re using fruit, we recommend days and if you’re not using fruit, they will last 5 days.
8 MORE Healthy Overnight Oats Recipes
Since we’ve got so many overnight oatmeal recipes on Fit Foodie Finds, we t،ught we’d share 8 more flavors. These 8 flavors are some of our very first overnight oats recipes on the site and were originally p،tographed and linked in this post!
- Maple French Toast Overnight Oats
- Peanut Butter and Jelly Overnight Oats
- Moose Tracks Overnight Oats
- Neapolitan Overnight Oats
- Coconut Latte Overnight Oats
- C،colate Covered Strawberry Overnight Oats
- Peanut Butter C،colate Chip Cookie Dough Overnight Oats
- Vanilla Strawberry Overnight Oats