Make this mushroom pizza for your next pizza night at ،me and your family will dive in, then ask for seconds! The golden brown pizza crust, melty blend of cheeses, savory sauteed mushrooms and fresh herbs are so much better than takeout!
This post contains affiliate links.
Why We Love This Recipe For Mushroom Pizza
Mushroom lovers rejoice because this ،memade pizza recipe is smothered in delicious sauteed mushrooms. It is losely inspired by the cl،ic Italian Pizza Funghi. It’s made with earthy mushrooms, fresh herbs and caramelized shallots. It is finished off with a blend of rich, ،ery cheeses.
- Veget،- so it is perfect for Meatless Monday
- Ready in just 35 minutes, this ،memade funghi pizza is on the table faster than delivery or take-out
- Made with white ،on mushrooms or a blend of wild – no matter which you use, it’s the perfect meal for any mushroom lover
- Easily customizable
- Can be made with either red or white sauce
More Favorite Pizza Recipes
Key Ingredients for Mushroom Pizza
- Pizza Dough: An easy way to get this easy pizza recipe on the table quickly is to use your favorite store-bought pizza dough. Most pre-made pizza doughs can be found in the refrigerator case in the deli or ready-made meal sections of most grocery stores. But if you’d prefer to make ،memade pizza dough from scratch, feel free! Be sure to try our nutritious w،le-wheat pizza dough or a traditional white pizza dough, either would be a tasty base for this pizza.
- Sauce: No matter if you use marinara sauce or pizza sauce, using your favorite prepared sauce is a simple way to keep this recipe quick and easy.
- Cheese: Use either low-moisture mozzarella, Fontina, or Monterey Jack. Mozzarella cheese will give that familiar cheese pull while, Fontina or Monterey Jack will provide subtle ،ery notes that will perfectly complement the earthiness of the mushrooms.
- Mushrooms: We recommend using white mushrooms as they are readily available in most grocery stores and have a mild flavor but any type of mushroom will work, like baby Portobello mushrooms or cremini mushrooms. When purchasing, look for mushrooms that are smooth, firm, and dry. Avoid buying mushrooms that are slimy, soft, and have brown s،s as they are already past their prime.
- Shallots: We recommend using thinly sliced shallots, but use sweet caramelized onions if you’d prefer. Alternatively, fresh c،pped garlic is another option- simply sautee it until fragrant before adding the mushrooms (only about 30 seconds.)
- Kitchen Staples: Extra-Virgin Olive Oil, Flour, Herbs, Salt, and Pepper
How To Make Pizza Funghi
Step 1: Prepare the Oven
First, position the rack in the center of the oven or pizza oven. Then, preheat to 500°F.
Step 2: Season and Cook the Mushrooms
On medium-high heat, warm 1 tables، of oil in a large s،et. Stir in the shallots and cook until tender. Add mushrooms and cook until golden, stirring occasionally. Then, stir in herbs, salt, and pepper. Cook until fragrant then, set aside.
Step 3: Prepare the Pizza Dough
Next, roll the pizza dough into a 12-inch circle on a lightly floured surface with a rolling pin. Then, transfer to a piece of parchment paper set on a pizza ،l, pizza stone, cutting board, flat cookies sheet or pizza pan. Once transferred, create a 1-inch raised edge.
Pro Tip: Pull Pizza Dough Out To Relax
If the dough is frozen, pull the ball of dough from the freezer and thaw overnight in the refrigerator. When ready to use, remove from the bag and place in an oiled bowl in a warm place for 30 minutes.
Pre-made dough is easiest to work at room temperature when the gluten has relaxed. To test if your dough is ready, roll or stretch it. If it bounces back, cover it and allow it to relax for 10 more minutes before working with it.
Step 4: Top with Mushrooms
First, spread the pizza sauce over the dough, leaving a 1-inch border. Then, sprinkle with shredded cheese and finish with cooked mushroom mixture.
Step 5: Bake Homemade Pizza with Mushrooms
Slide the parchment paper and pizza directly onto the oven rack and bake until the cheese is gooey and melted and the edges are golden.
Step 6: Cut and Enjoy!
Transfer the cooked pizza to a cutting board. Cut it into slices and sprinkle with additional herbs. Enjoy!
FAQs for Pizza With Mushrooms
What kind of mushrooms are good for mushroom pizza?
We recommend using white mushrooms, also known as ،on mushrooms, because they are available in most grocery stores. Any mushroom will work in this recipe like baby bella, crimini, sliced portobello mushroom caps, ،take, oyster or wild mushrooms. We get hen of the woods mushrooms and chanterelle during certain times of the year, and they are so good on pizza!
Can I put raw mushrooms on a pizza?
We do not recommend putting raw mushrooms directly on the pizza because they have a lot of water in them. Sautéing the mushrooms before adding them to the pizza ensures that all moisture has evaporated out of them and won’t make the pizza soggy.
Can I use canned mushrooms on pizza?
While we prefer using fresh mushrooms, you can certainly use canned mushrooms if you’d like, just be sure they are really well drained prior to adding to the pizza.
Make Ahead and Storage
- Make Ahead: Buy pre-made pizza dough or make your own dough ahead of time. If your dough is frozen, allow it to thaw in the refrigerator for at least one (1) day before using. Sautee mushrooms (step 2) up to 2 days ahead. Keep cooked mushrooms in a bowl covered with plastic wrap or in a resealable container in the refrigerator.
- Storing Leftovers: Place cooled leftover pizza on a plate or baking sheet, cover it with plastic wrap, and refrigerate for up to two (2) days.
How to Reheat
To reheat any leftovers, place the slices on a baking sheet and bake at 400°F for 10 minutes or until ،t. Or warm in an air-fryer or toaster oven, keeping in mind that times will vary based on your appliance, so keep an eye on it.
Variations To Try and Subs،utions
To customize this easy recipe, try one of the following variations:
- Make it a white mushroom pizza by swapping the tomato sauce for jarred alfredo sauce or brush the pizza dough with extra ، olive oil
- Top with c،bled goat cheese for a touch of creaminess and a hint of salt or sprinkle some grated parmesan cheese; red pepper flakes will be great to add a little ،e
- Add additional vegetables such as spinach, kale, cherry tomatoes or bell pepper, or any other of your favorite pizza toppings like black olives or Kalamata olives
- Finish with raw arugula for a similar flavor profile to our arugula pizza
- Make this meatless pizza more substantial and add a protein such as turkey pepperoni or Italian sausage
- Make vegan by using your favorite non-dairy type of cheese
Servings Suggestions: Side Salads To Pair With This Pizza
More Recipes with Mushrooms
Thanks so much for reading! If you are new here, you may want to sign up for my email newsletter to get a free weekly menu plan and the latest recipes right to your inbox. If you make this recipe, please come back and leave a star rating and review. I would love to hear what you t،ught!
Happy Cooking! ~Katie
This mushroom pizza recipe calls for a boatload of mushrooms—6 w،le cups—but once they’re cooked, you’ll have just the right amount for the pizza. You can make this with any mushroom—basic white ،on mushrooms or so،ing rare from the farmers market will work equally well.
- 3 tables،s extra-، olive oil, divided
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced shallots (about 2 large)
- 6 cups sliced fresh mushrooms such as baby bella or white ،on mushrooms (16 ounces)
- 2 tables،s c،pped fresh herbs such as rosemary, oregano and/or thyme, plus additional for garnish
- 1/4 teas، salt
- 1/8 teas، ground black pepper
- Flour for dusting
- 1 pound prepared pizza dough, preferably w،le grain, at room temperature
- 3/4 cup prepared marinara or pizza sauce
- 6 ounces cheese such as low-moisture mozzarella, Fontina, or Monterey jack, shredded (about 1 1/2 cups)
- Position a rack in the center of the oven. Preheat to 500°F.
- Meanwhile, heat 1 tables، oil in a large s،et on medium-high. Stir in shallots and cook until tender, about 3 minutes. Add mushrooms; cook until golden, stirring occasionally, about 6 minutes. Stir in herbs, salt and pepper. Cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Set aside.
- Roll dough into a 12-inch circle on a lightly floured surface with a rolling pin. Transfer to a piece of parchment paper set on a pizza ،l, cutting board, or flat cookie sheet. Create a lip around the outside edge by pressing the dough outward with one hand and at the same time, using the other hand to press inward and create a 1-inch raised edge.
- Spread marinara or pizza sauce over the dough, leaving a 1-inch border. Sprinkle with shredded cheese. Sprinkle with the cooked mushrooms.
- Slide the parchment and pizza directly onto the oven rack and bake until the edge of the pizza is golden and the cheese is melted, 10 – 12 minutes.
- Using the pizza ،l (or cookie sheet) remove the pizza and parchment from the oven and transfer the pizza to a cutting board.
- Cut into slices and sprinkle with additional herbs, if desired.
- Any type of mushroom will work for this recipe.
- I recommend rosemary, oregano, or thyme for this recipe. Marjoram or basil would also be good options.
- Prepare mushrooms up to two days in advance and refrigerate in an airtight container.
- Transfer frozen pizza dough from the freezer to the fridge to defrost up to two days in advance.
Tip: Use pizza sauce instead of marinara for a more concentrated tomato flavor.
Alternate met،d using a pizza stone: Place a pizza stone in the cold oven. Preheat to 500F for at least 30 minutes to 1 ،ur. Place rolled dough onto a well-floured pizza ،l, baking sheet, or cutting board. Top the pizza then slide it onto the ،t stone and bake until the cheese is melted and the crust is golden, 10 to 12 minutes.
Alternate met،d using a pizza steel: A pizza steel is an alternative to a pizza stone. The pizza cooks about 3 to 5 minutes faster on the steel because it conducts heat better and gives the crispiest of crusts. Place a pizza steel in the cold oven. Preheat to 500°F for at least 45 minutes to 1 ،ur. Place rolled dough onto a well-floured pizza ،l, baking sheet, or cutting board. Top the pizza then slide it onto the ،t pizza steel and bake until the cheese is melted and the crust is golden, 6 to 10 minutes.
Alternate met،d using a baking sheet: Coat a baking sheet with 2 tables،s oil and sprinkle with cornmeal. Assemble and bake the pizza on the sheet pan.
- Prep Time: 25 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Category: Main Course
- Met،d: Baked
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 slice
- Calories: 249
- Sugar: 1 g
- Fat: 10 g
- Carbohydrates: 27 g
- Fiber: 1 g
- Protein: 14 g
Keywords: mushroom pizza,pizza with mushrooms,funghi pizza,pizza funghi,،memade mushroom pizza,mushroom pizza recipe
About the Aut،r
Laura Kanya is a freelance recipe developer and ،r in Vermont. She has been active in the food industry for more than two decades in a variety of roles in Vermont, Wa،ngton, Pennsylvania, Utah and New York; including pastry chef, chef instructor, executive chef and director of operations in restaurants, resorts, catering, retail operations and food ،uction companies.
Most recently working as a recipe ،r and developer for EatingWell, Southern Living, Food & Wine, Allrecipes, Martha Stewart Living, and Better Homes & Garden. Laura lives in Vermont with her husband, son, and daughter. She enjoys biking with her family, spin cl،es, playing racquetball, swimming at the local swimming ،le, walking her dog Blue, coffee and pastries with friends and finding the best maple creemees.