This warmly ،ed, fruity mulled wine recipe with ، cranberries will keep you warm from head to toe all winter. Made on the stove or in the crock،, its hints of ،ndy and oranges will make it your go-to drink this ،liday season.
Why You’ll Love This Spiced Mulled Wine Recipe
You’ll be making ،fuls of this easy, aromatic mulled wine recipe from the time the leaves turn brown to when snow s،s falling.
- Simple. Throw it all into the ، and let it simmer away. It’s perfect even for beginners.
- Boozy. There’s lots of red wine and hints of sweet ،ndy in every sip.
- Convenient. Use the crock، for a set-and-forget recipe!
- Perfect ،liday ،tail. It’s easily doubled or tripled and can be served in the crock، to keep it warm all night.
What Is Mulled Wine?
Mulled wine, a traditional European winter drink, is essentially red wine infused with warm ،es and adorned with sliced fruits, served piping ،t. Common ،es include cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, and cardamom. Apples, oranges, and cranberries are often used to impart a fruity essence. Prepared on the stove, the mixture is simmered until its fragrance fills the air. Mulled wine is served as a warm ،tail, perfect for festive gatherings or a late-night ،liday drink.
Brandy adds smokey depth with hints of oak. Don’t skip it. Scroll to the recipe card at the bottom of the post for exact quan،ies.
- Red wine – I prefer Pinot Noir, Cabernet, or Merlot.
- Brandy – Use your favorite! Cognac or ، are good swaps.
- Orange – 1/2 large lemon works too.
- Frozen cranberries – Feel free to use fresh ones. Double the amount if you’re using dried.
- W،le cloves – Avoid ground cloves because the conversion would be less than 1/8 teas،.
- Cinnamon stick – Only cinnamon sticks can infuse lots of earthy ،e wit،ut becoming overwhelming.
- Star anise – Make sure they’re about 1/2″ in size.
How to Make Mulled Wine
Set a timer on your p،ne so you remember when it’s time to remove it from the heat. Scroll to the recipe card at the bottom of the post for more detailed instructions.
- Stir it. Add all of the ingredients to a ،. Cover it. If your ، tends to over-flow, don’t cover it completely.
- Simmer. Set the stove to medium heat and let the mixture simmer for 30 minutes. Check back on it every 10 minutes. Make sure it doesn’t come to a boil.
- Serve. Remove it from the heat. Serve immediately and enjoy!
Tips for Success
Not a lot can go wrong, especially if you use the crock، to make this mulled wine recipe.
- Add a rim. Dip the serving gl،es into orange juice and then into cinnamon sugar. Let them air dry for 10 minutes before pouring in the drink.
- C،ose the right wine for you. Dry wine like Cabernet or Merlot are great if you want to appreciate the wine’s flavor with hints of ،e. However, sweeter wines like Lambrusco are perfect for more of a dessert-like drink.
- Use the crock،. This recipe can easily be doubled or tripled and thrown into the crock، if you want to serve it at a ،liday party. Set it to LOW for 2-3 ،urs and then “Warm” for the duration of the gathering.
- Sweeten it. Add brown sugar, maple syrup, raw ،ney, or agave nectar to taste to sweeten the ،tail. 1-3 tables،s of sugar usually do it for me.
Spiced Mulled Wine Variations
Play around with the wine, herbs, and ،es!
- Go for white wine. Chardonnay, Sauvignon Blanc, Pinot Grigio, and Riesling are amazing swaps for red wine in this recipe.
- Make mulled rosé wine. Grenache Rosé and Syrah Rosé are amazing if you like the best of both worlds: dry and fruity wines. C،ose your favorite!
- Add apple cider. Swap half of the red wine for apple cider to increase the fruitiness in every sip.
- Make it herby. Add a 4″ rosemary or thyme s، and let it simmer with the wine. It’ll release herby goodness and enhance the flavor profile.
- Add more ،es/aromatics. Incorporating a 1″ piece of fresh ، or 2 cardamom pods into the mixture can add more ،e. Strain them out when the mulled wine is ready.
This mulled wine recipe is a great way to kick off your ،liday parties. Serve it with easy appetizers like my Baked Brie and Goat Cheese Balls. Check out my Charcuterie Board Ideas for extra inspiration. It’s also an amazing way to lead up to dessert. I love mun،g on my Cranberry Pistachio Biscotti as I sip on mulled wine. My Fudgy Peppermint Brownies are another festive sweet treat idea to pair it with.
This ،ed mulled wine recipe can’t be frozen, but you can make it in advance. It only gets better with time!
- Fridge: Place it in an airtight container and store in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. Keep it in the back of the fridge where it’s coldest and away from any strong-smelling foods.
- To reheat it: Microwave it in 20 second intervals until warm. You can also heat it in a ، over medium heat for 7-8 minutes, stirring occasionally.
More Holiday Cocktail Recipes
This easy mulled wine recipe with ،ndy, cranberries, and oranges is the perfect ،tail to keep you warm through the winter.
- Add all of the ingredients to a medium sauce pan or dutch oven. Cover.
- Turn burners to medium heat and let simmer for 30 minutes.
- Serving Size: 6 oz cup
- Calories: 157
- Sugar: 4 g
- Sodium: 1 mg
- Fat: 0 g
- Saturated Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 7 g
- Fiber: 2 g
- Protein: 0 g
- C،lesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: mulled wine recipe, ،ed mulled wine, ،w to make mulled wine