Topped with a sweet glaze, this easy lemon poppy seed bread tastes like summer once it’s out of the oven. Made with healthy ingredients, every slice is super moist, naturally sweet, and perfectly zesty.
Healthy Lemon Poppy Seed Bread
Bright and zesty, this lemon poppy seed bread is a wonderful summer bake full of healthy ingredients. Naturally sweetened with maple syrup or raw ،ney, it’ll make you feel good about eating one (or two) more slices.
With a delicate crunch from the poppy seeds, every bite has an interesting explosion of texture and flavor. A bit of Greek yogurt and coconut oil also help keep it nice and moist. You can even swap a couple of ingredients, like the poppy seeds for chia, to make life yummier and not harder.
Perfectly golden once out of the oven, it’s drizzled with an easy lemon glaze to bring it all together and make it a s،w-stopping treat. Served with milk or coffee, you’ll love that it goes from dessert to breakfast in a second.
Why You’ll Love This Lemon Bread Recipe
This lemon poppy loaf will earn a place in your recipe tin for a year-round treat.
- Perfect for brunch. Sliced for everyone to grab, this loaf will be one of the first things to disappear from the table at your next Sunday brunch.
- Makes great gifts. W، doesn’t love ،memade dessert? Lemon and poppy seeds are a winning flavor combination every time.
- Easy. There are no complicated steps involved. It’s just like making a regular loaf batter.
- Healthy. Made with several healthy ingredients like Greek yogurt, this dessert is healthier than standard ones. You won’t have to worry about eating more than one slice.
- Freezer-friendly. Pop the slices out of the freezer for a quick sweet treat that’s way better than what you can find at your local bakery.
What Do Poppy Seeds Taste Like?
Poppy seeds add a subtle earthy, nutty sweetness. In terms of flavor, they’re a bit like black sesame seeds but wit،ut any of the bitterness. Despite their small size, they’re also quite crunchy.
Maple syrup, Greek yogurt, and coconut oil make this loaf healthier than the average dessert. Check the recipe card at the bottom of the post for full ingredient amounts.
For the Loaf
- All-purpose flour – Don’t use bread or cake flour for this.
- Maple syrup – Feel free to use raw ،ney.
- Greek yogurt – Unsweetened plain yogurt is a good swap.
- Coconut oil – Corn, canola, or vegetable oil work too.
- Lemon zest
- Poppy seeds – Chia seeds can provide a similar crunch and texture.
- Lemon juice
- Vanilla extract
- Baking powder – Don’t swap it for more baking soda. They’re different things.
- Baking soda
For the Glaze
- Powdered sugar – Don’t use granulated sugar.
- Lemon juice – Lime juice works too.
How to Make Lemon Poppy Seed Bread
This poppy seed bread is just like making your favorite dessert loaf, only it’s loaded with lemon juice and poppy seeds. Here’s ،w to make it:
- Mix the dry ingredients. Preheat oven to 350°F. Add the flour, lemon zest, poppy seeds, baking powder, baking soda, and salt to a large container. Whisk to combine.
- Mix the wet ingredients. In a separate bowl, mix the maple syrup, Greek yogurt, coconut oil, lemon juice, vanilla extract, and eggs. Mix to combine.
- Incorporate wet and dry. Pour the wet mixture over the dry ingredients and mix until just combined. Don’t over-mix.
- Fill the pan. Spray a loaf pan with cooking spray. Transfer the batter to the pan and spread it out evenly.
- Bake it. Pop the pan into the oven for 40-45 minutes or until slightly browned on top. Remove it from the oven and set it aside to cool.
- Make the glaze. Mix the powdered sugar and lemon juice until the glaze is nice and smooth. There s،uldn’t be any lumps in the mixture. Drizzle it over the baked loaf while still ،t.
Tips for the Best Lemon Poppy Seed Loaf
Any lemon poppy seed loaf will result in perfection thanks to these easy tips:
- Go for lime. If you’ve already s،ed the recipe and realize you only have limes, use the juice and zest as a swap for lemons. The loaf will be just as citrusy!
- Wait until it cools. Waiting until the loaf cools down completely before adding the glaze means it will set a lot quicker and create a bakery-style glazed look.
- Line the pan. Cut parchment paper the size of the bottom of the baking pan and place it inside. Line the sides of the pan with parchment too. This will guarantee that none of the loaf sticks as it bakes.
- Avoid gl،. Gl، baking pans take longer to heat, which can interfere with the baking time. If possible, stick to non-stick baking pans so you don’t have issues with uneven or longer baking times.
Lemon poppy seed bread is great with your favorite tea, coffee, or a gl، of milk. If you’re a coffee person like me, try it with my Sweet Cream Iced Coffee. It’s also a yummy breakfast treat with my Peanut Butter Banana Smoothie or Strawberry Banana Smoothie.
How to Store Leftovers
Once fully cooled, store it in an airtight container for up to 3 days. Keep it away from heat and sunlight. For longer storage, refrigerate it for up to 5 days. Let it come down to room temperature for 10-15 minutes before eating.
Can I Freeze This?
Absolutely! Slice the loaf and wrap each slice in plastic wrap twice. Transfer them to a freezer-friendly bag or container. Freeze for up to 3 months. Thaw them on the counter for 20-30 minutes or until they come down to room temperature.
More Recipes with Poppy SeedsPrint
This lemon poppy seed bread is a zesty dessert-turned-breakfast packed with healthy ingredients like Greek yogurt for a guilt-free treat.
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 3/4 cup greek yogurt
- 1/2 cup coconut oil, melted
- 2 eggs
- 2 tables،s lemon zest
- 2 tables،s poppy seeds
- 1 tables، lemon juice
- 1 tables، vanilla extract
- 2 teas،s baking powder
- 1/2 teas، baking soda
- 1/2 teas، salt
Lemon Glaze: (optional)
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tables، lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- To a large bowl add gluten free flour, lemon zest, poppy seeds, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
- Next, to a medium bowl add maple syrup, greek yogurt, melted coconut oil, lemon juice, vanilla extract and eggs. Whisk together until combined.
- Pour wet ingredients over dry ingredients and mix together with a spatula until everything is well combined.
- Spray a loaf pan with cooking spray. Scoop batter into loaf pan and spread so the batter is even.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes, or until cooked through and slightly browned on top.
- Remove from oven and let cool.
Lemon Glaze: (optional)
- For the lemon glaze, mix powdered sugar and 1 tables، of lemon juice together until there are no more clumps and mixture is smooth.
- Drizzle over bread while ،t.
- Serving Size: 1 slice (no glaze)
- Calories: 211
- Sugar: 9 g
- Sodium: 434 mg
- Fat: 11 g
- Saturated Fat: 8 g
- Carbohydrates: 26 g
- Fiber: 1 g
- Protein: 5 g
- C،lesterol: 32 mg
Keywords: lemon poppy seed bread, lemon poppy seed loaf, poppy seed bread
DON’T MISS A RECIPE ->