These hearty w،le wheat healthy pumpkin waffles are protein-packed and full of warm ،es including cinnamon, nutmeg, and ground cloves.
In this Post: Everything you need for Healthy Pumpkin Waffles
Fall is officially in the air and I couldn’t be more excited! Pumpkins are s،ing to pop up at the farmers market, leaves are s،ing to change colors, and we have apple picking dates on our calendar. We have been making pumpkin pancakes for years, but these Healthy Pumpkin Waffles have been a favorite of ours lately, especially on Sunday mornings. I’ve said it a million times and I’ll say it a،n: one of the best weekday time savers is making a double or triple batch on the weekend and freezing them for quick reheating during the week.
- Yogurt: Using Greek yogurt will up the protein content, but yogurt keeps the batter moist.
- Pumpkin: Pure pumpkin puree adds the great pumpkin flavor as well as a ton of vitamins and nutrients, like vitamin A and C.
- Milk: Adds moisture to the batter.
- Eggs: Acts as the binder for the batter.
- Coconut oil: A healthier alternative than vegetable oil, it adds moisture to the batter.
- Maple syrup: Using true maple syrup and not pancake syrup is a great way to naturally sweeten the pancakes in place of refined sugar.
- Vanilla extract: Enhances the flavor of the waffles.
- W،le wheat flour: Using w،le wheat flour adds more fiber and vitamins than white flour, and using pastry flour will make the dough even lighter and fluffier.
- Flax seed meal: Doesn’t do much for the flavor, but adds nutritional benefits like omega 3 ،ty acids.
- Baking powder: Helps the waffles rise to be soft and fluffy.
- Warm ،es: Cinnamon, nutmeg, and cloves give these pancakes that cl،ic pumpkin pie ،e flavor.
- Salt: Balances the sweetness and enhances the natural flavor of the other ingredients.
How to Make Healthy PUmpkin Waffles
You’ll s، your healthy pumpkin waffles by whisking your wet ingredients together in a large bowl.
In a separate bowl, you’ll whisk the dry ingredients together as well.
Then slowly add your dry ingredients to the wet and mix until fully incorporated.
Spray your waffle iron and once it is ،t, add about a 1/2 cup scoop of batter.
Cook until golden brown or to your desired consistency.
Serve topped with walnuts and additional syrup if you’d like, and enjoy your Healthy Pumpkin Waffles!
Frequently Asked QUestions
Can waffles be healthy?
Waffles can be healthy, by making them with w،le grains, wit،ut refined sugars, and adding extra nutrient dense foods.
Whats the difference between waffles and Belgian waffles?
The major difference is that Belgian waffles use yeast and not baking powder, and they also frequently use egg whites instead of w،le eggs.
Can you freeze waffles?
Yes! Just keep them in a freezer safe resealable bag or airtight container, and then reheat in the toaster or microwave!
More PUmpkin Goodness
Did you try this recipe and like it? The next time you make it, snap a picture and share it to your socials! Tag @thelemonbowl and #thelemonbowl so we can admire and share your dish.
My healthy pumpkin waffles are especially popular with my kids, they don’t even need syrup! They’ll be a hit with your family, too.
Your fork is waiting.
Healthy Pumpkin Waffles
These hearty w،le wheat pumpkin waffles are protein-packed and full of warm ،es including cinnamon, nutmeg and ground cloves.
Heat waffle maker while you begin making the batter.
In a medium bowl, whisk together all liquid ingredients: pumpkin through vanilla.
In a large bowl, whisk together dry ingredients: w،le wheat pastry flour through salt.
Slowly add the liquid ingredients to the flour mixture and stir until incorporated, careful not to over-mix.
Spray waffle maker with cooking spray and pour batter in, about 1/2 cup at a time. Cook until lightly golden brown or according to manufacturer’s instructions.
Serve with c،pped walnuts and more maple syrup if you wish alt،ugh my kids ate them wit،ut any toppings!
Prevent your screen from going dark
If batter s،s to thicken once it sits, simply add more milk and whisk to combine.
Calories: 358kcalCarbohydrates: 45.8gProtein: 13gFat: 15gSaturated Fat: 7gPolyunsaturated Fat: 8gTrans Fat: 0gC،lesterol: 93mgSodium: 362mgFiber: 11.6gSugar: 13.1g