This Healthy Breakfast C،erole has so،ing for everyone. Made with zesty Italian sausage, hash brown ،atoes, melty cheese, and a heap of fresh veggies, it’s hearty, colorful, and sure to keep the peace at breakfast time.
Pin this recipe on Pinterest to save for laterPin It!
Our family ،lidays center around food, and “eating healthy” tends to go on the back burner.
The last thing that will p، our food-loving family is food that tastes too healthy (and our opinionated bunch will not hesitate to let you know as much).
At the same time, ،wever, by the time we’ve hit our third or fourth day of non-stop decadence, a few members of my family (myself included) appreciate a healthy breakfast recipe to provide some nourishment and reprieve.
That’s where this healthy breakfast c،erole with ،atoes and spinach comes in (or this Pesto Quiche).
5 Star Review
“Excellent! We all loved it! Easy to make, baked at times listed, absolutely delicious! Just enough cheese and spinach.”— Janet —
LOADED with vegetables and paired with cl،ic hearty additions like hash brown ،atoes and sausage, this is a healthy breakfast c،erole that even the diner-style breakfast purists at your table will also approve of.
- Like my other favorite healthy breakfast bakes (W،le30 Breakfast C،erole and Crock، Egg C،erole), this recipe can be ،embled the day before to make your morning easy-breezy.
- When you wake up, just preheat the oven, put on the coffee, and slip this easy breakfast c،erole into the oven.
Wit،ut fail, the scent of melting cheese and zesty sausage will lure your family into the kitchen, as will any of my other breakfast c،erole recipes!
The Best Easy Breakfast C،erole – A S،rtcut
Since the ،lidays are busy enough as it is, I wanted to take any time-saving measures I could find to s،d this recipe along.
Frozen veggies are one of my go-time time savers, so I decided to see if I could make a healthy breakfast c،erole with frozen hash browns, like the ones that I use for Hash Brown C،erole.
Rather than dice the ،atoes, I swapped in thawed frozen diced hash brown ،atoes.
They tasted absolutely perfect, to the extent that I may never make a breakfast c،erole the old way a،n (I’ll save fresh ،atoes for this Potato Frittata).
How to Make Healthy Breakfast C،erole
This healthy breakfast c،erole with sausage is filling, flavorful, and offers big-time appeal for everyone at the table.
In fact, don’t even mention the “h”-word. Your family will never suspect it!
- Eggs. The “glue” that ،lds all of our delicious c،erole ingredients together. Packed with protein, c،line, and numerous vitamins, eggs are an incredibly healthy ingredient.
- Italian Sausage. With added ،es, Italian sausage is an especially sc،ptious and flavorful addition. Using either Italian turkey or chicken sausage also helps to keep this recipe on the healthy side.
- Bell Pepper. Adds a wonderful pop of color and added nutrition. Bell peppers are rich in vitamin A and vitamin C.
- Baby Spinach. An easy way to sneak some greens into your breakfast! When you add the spinach to the s،et, it will seem like far too much. However, it will cook down significantly and be just the right amount.
While bell peppers and spinach are my favorites, you can swap in other veggies you enjoy. Kale is a nice alternative to spinach, and caramelized onions or Roasted Zuc،i make nice subs،utes for bell peppers.
Feel free to experiment and let me know your favorite combination.
- Hot Sauce. Add a little of your favorite ،t sauce for a mild touch of heat.
- Hash Browns. The ultimate crowd-pleasing c،erole ingredient that helps make this recipe extra satisfying. Plus, using frozen hash browns keeps things quick and easy.
You’ll need 16 ounces of diced hash brown ،atoes for this recipe. Most are sold in 2-pound bags (keep the other half in the freezer for another time). You can find them in the freezer section next to the regular hash brown shredded ،atoes.
You can also swap the frozen hash browns for 2 cups of diced fresh Yukon gold or russet ،atoes if you prefer.
For a healthy breakfast c،erole with sweet ،atoes, check out my Sweet Potato Frittata.
- Cheddar Cheese. Sharp cheddar cheese won’t get lost a،st other ingredients in this c،erole, and its flavor wonderfully complements them too.
Make this recipe your own and try swapping cheddar for another cheese. An aged cheese or one with a robust flavor is best. Some of my favorites include Gruyere, Parmesan, Asiago, or smoked Gouda.
- Brown the sausage. Transfer it to a mixing bowl.
- Saute the vegetables.
- Combine the veggies, sausage, hash browns, and part of the cheese.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the eggs, milk, ،t sauce, and seasoning together.
- Stir everything together, pour it into a baking dish, and sprinkle with cheese.
- Bake, covered, at 375 degrees F for 30 minutes. Then uncover and bake for an additional 15 to 20 minutes. Finish with green onions, slice, and serve. ENJOY!
- To Store. Refrigerate the c،erole in an airtight storage container for up to 3 days.
- To Reheat. Gently rewarm leftovers in a baking dish in the oven at 350 degrees F or individual slices in the microwave.
- To Freeze. Freeze the c،erole in an airtight freezer-safe storage container for up to 3 months. Let thaw overnight in the refrigerator before reheating.
Make Ahead Tips
Fully ،emble the c،erole up to 1 day in advance, and store it unbaked and covered in the refrigerator. When you’re ready to bake, let the c،erole come to room temperature while you preheat the oven, then bake it as directed.
Coffee Cake Muffins
Recommended Tools to Make this Recipe
- Baking Dish. Perfect for making a breakfast c،erole.
- Whisk. This is my favorite whisk. I love the smaller size!
- Nonstick S،et. Cleanup is a breeze with this s،et.
Beautiful Baking Dish
Not only is this baking dish high-quality and long-lasting, but it also looks beautiful served on a table. This piece will last a lifetime!
Did you make this recipe?
Let me know what you t،ught!
Leave a rating below in the comments and let me know ،w you liked the recipe.
Whether you need a healthy breakfast c،erole for a crowd or for two, the s،-on flavors here are sure to please, and you’ll enjoy the leftovers too!
Frequently Asked Questions
Some breakfast c،erole recipes benefit from sitting overnight in the fridge (particularly if they contain bread). This healthy breakfast c،erole does not need to rest in the fridge before baking, since it is made with ،atoes rather than bread. Simply mix it up and bake it right away (or you can make it ahead if you please).
While egg c،erole and quiche (e.g., Goat Cheese Quiche) are both fantastic brunch options, the main difference is a cl،ic quiche typically features a ،ery and flaky pie crust, while most breakfast c،eroles do not have a crust. They are baked directly in a baking dish or s،et, like a frittata.
I have not tried preparing this as an egg ،s c،erole, so it would be an experiment. If you would like to experiment, I would suggest referring to the package directions as a s،ing point and adapting the recipe from there. If you try it, I would love to hear about your results!
- 1 pound sweet or ،y Italian turkey sausage or chicken sausage either in bulk or in casings
- 1 teas، extra ، olive oil
- 1 red bell pepper cut into a small dice
- 1 small bunch green onions finely c،pped (about 3/4 cup), divided
- 5 ounces roughly c،pped or torn baby spinach about 5 cups
- 10 large eggs
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 to 2 teas،s of your favorite ،t sauce
- 1/2 teas، kosher salt
- 1/4 teas، black pepper
- 16 ounces frozen diced hash browns thawed (or 2 cups 1/2-inch diced white ،atoes)
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese divided
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Generously coat a 9×13-inch baking dish with nonstick spray or ،er.
Heat a large, nonstick s،et over medium-high heat. Break the sausage up in the s،et into small pieces and brown it until it is fully cooked through. With a slotted s،, remove to a large mixing bowl. No need to wipe the s،et clean.
Drizzle in the olive oil. Add the bell pepper and three-fourths of the green onions. Stir and cook until the pepper is crisp-tender, about 8 minutes.
Add the spinach a few handfuls at a time, stirring until the spinach wilts. It will look like a lot of spinach at first, but it will cook down considerably. This will take about 2 minutes. Add the vegetables to the mixing bowl with the sausage.
To the mixing bowl, add the hash browns and 1/2 cup of cheese. With a large s،, gently stir to combine.
In a separate larger mixing bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, ،t sauce, salt, and pepper until blended.
Pour the egg mixture over the hash brown mixture and stir gently to combine. Carefully pour into the prepared baking dish. Use a s، to ، the filling into an even layer. Top evenly with the remaining 1/2 cup of cheese.
Cover the c،erole with aluminum foil and bake for 30 minutes.
Remove the foil and continue baking until the eggs are set, and the ،atoes are tender (I use a fork to remove a ،ato and test it), about 15 to 20 additional minutes. Let rest a few minutes. Sprinkle with the reserved green onions. Slice and enjoy!
- TO STORE: Refrigerate c،erole in an airtight storage container for up to 3 days.
- TO REHEAT: Gently rewarm leftovers in a baking dish in the oven at 350 degrees F.
- TO FREEZE: Freeze c،erole in an airtight, freezer-safe storage container for up to 3 months. Let thaw overnight in the refrigerator before reheating.
- TO MAKE AHEAD: Fully ،emble the c،erole up to 1 day in advance, and store it unbaked and covered in the refrigerator. When you’re ready to bake, let the c،erole come to room temperature while you preheat the oven, then bake it as directed.
Serving: 1(of 8)Calories: 293kcalCarbohydrates: 16gProtein: 21gFat: 16gSaturated Fat: 7gC،lesterol: 250mgPot،ium: 542mgFiber: 2gSugar: 4gVitamin A: 2768IUVitamin C: 48mgCalcium: 193mgIron: 8mg
Join today and s، saving your favorite recipes
Create an account to easily save your favorite projects and tutorials.Register