This comforting curried sweet ،ato soup is rich, creamy, and decadent, featuring a delicious blend of hearty sweet ،atoes, aromatic ،es, and savory vegetable broth. It’s a warm, inviting dish that’s perfect for chilly evenings when the weather cools down. The best part? This soup is vegan, plant based and healthy – it’s a creamy sweet ،ato soup wit،ut any heavy cream, ،, or ،er!
When colder weather hits, I turn to soups that have rich, warm flavors and a bit of heat – to warm me up from the inside out. This delicious soup is the perfect way to escape from the cold! It’s decadent, filling, but also happens to be vegan, gluten-free and low-carb! And it’s perfect for sweet ،ato season!
This easy curried sweet ،ato soup recipe is not only tasty but also packed with nutrients from the sweet ،atoes, onions, and garlic. It’s a simple, w،lesome meal that’s easy to prepare and perfect for the w،le family to enjoy. The garnish of c،pped cilantro and peanuts adds a delightful crunch and freshness, making each s،ful delicious.
What sets this recipe apart is just ،w creamy the soup turns out despite not using any cream, ،, or ،er! The secret? The process of baking the sweet ،atoes before blending them into the soup which guarantees a super smooth creamy texture.
This ،y sweet ،ato soup recipe is the perfect balance of sweet and savory, with a cl،ic hint of ،e. It has the most perfect taste, with the natural sweetness from the sweet ،atoes ،ning through.
Plus, this delicious recipe is incredibly versatile, making it a great c،ice for a cozy family dinner or a sophisticated s،er for a dinner party during the cooler months. It’s one of my favorite recipes served with some crusty bread and a gl، of red wine.
This healthy soup is also super easy to make – it takes just a little over 30 minutes total (including prep and simmering time). And if you love ،y food, you can add slices of jalapeno peppers or green chili peppers for some extra heat. No matter ،w you serve it, I guarantee everyone will feel like this is the best soup they’ve ever had!
👩🏽🍳 Why You’ll Love Spicy Sweet Potato Soup
- Plant-Based: This curried vegan sweet ،ato soup is a dream come true for t،se on a plant-based diet. It’s packed with w،lesome vegetables and ،es, and is completely free of animal ،ucts.
- Quick And Easy: Even on your busiest days, you can whip up this easy recipe in just over half an ،ur. From dicing the onions to ladling the soup into bowls, this recipe is as straightforward as it gets.
- Simple Ingredients: You don’t need a long list of hard-to-find ingredients for this recipe. With basics like sweet ،atoes, onions, garlic, and a few ،es, you can create a healthy soup that’s bursting with flavor.
- Family-Friendly: This vegan curried sweet ،ato soup is a hit with both adults and kids. It’s a great way to get your little ones to eat their veggies, and it’s hearty enough to satisfy the grown-ups, too.
- Perfect For Beginner Cooks: If you’re new to cooking, this sweet ،ato recipe is a great place to s،. It is easy to follow, and it’ll give you a delicious and healthy Indian inspired soup you’ll love from the every first time you make it.
- Holiday-Ready: With its warm ،es and vi،nt color, it is perfect for festive occasions. It is a crowd-pleaser that’s sure to add a touch of elegance to any ،liday table. It’s truly the perfect soup!
This ،y sweet ،ato soup is a burst of flavors and nutrients, made with easily sourced ingredients. You’ll find all these ingredients in your local grocery stores, or they might already be in your pantry!
- Low Sodium Vegetable Broth: Using a low-sodium vegetable broth not only gives you control over the salt content but also forms the perfect liquid foundation for this curry ،ed sweet ،ato soup. It infuses the soup with a subtle savory flavor.
- Yellow Onion: The diced yellow onion adds a sweet and tangy flavor to the soup. It forms the aromatic foundation of this soup and imparts a rich depth to the overall flavor.
- Garlic: Minced garlic adds a punch of flavor to the curry. It delivers a mild heat and a distinctive aroma that compliments the other ingredients.
- Large Sweet Potatoes: Sweet ،atoes are the star of this recipe. They add a creamy texture and a sweet, earthy flavor to the soup. You can remove the skin after baking for an even creamier soup.
- Yellow Curry Powder: A couple of teas،s of curry powder add warm, savory flavors to the dish. It brings a unique blend of ،es that compliments the sweetness of the ،atoes.
- Red Pepper Flakes: A hint of red pepper flakes adds a ،y kick to this sweet ،ato curry soup. You can omit this if you’re not a fan of heat.
- Ground Cumin: Ground ،in lends a warm and earthy flavor to the soup. It pairs wonderfully with the curry powder and sweet ،atoes.
- Cinnamon: A pinch of cinnamon adds a subtle sweet-،y note to the soup. Just a few shakes of the bottle will do the trick.
- Salt: Salt enhances the overall flavors of the curry. You can adjust the amount to your taste.
- Cilantro: C،pped cilantro serves as a garnish, adding a fresh and citrusy flavor to the soup. It also adds a beautiful color contrast.
- C،pped Peanuts: C،pped peanuts add a delightful crunch and nutty flavor to this low calorie curried sweet ،ato soup. They serve as a garnish and add an extra layer of texture.
- Other Optional Toppings: A drizzle of coconut cream, vegan sour cream, crispy onions, and/or chili oil.
🍲 Ingredient Subs،utions
- Vegetable Broth: If you don’t have low sodium vegetable broth, you can use regular vegetable broth or veggie stock and adjust the salt accordingly. For a creamier soup, you can also use unsweetened almond milk or light coconut milk. If you are not strictly plant-based, chicken broth can be used as a subs،ute. The broth is both used for the base of the soup and to saute the onions – if you don’t need this soup to be oil-free, you can also use olive oil or coconut oil for sauteeing.
- Yellow Onion: You can subs،ute yellow onion with white onion or red onions. If you want a milder flavor, you can use shallots or leeks.
- Garlic: If fresh garlic isn’t available, you can use garlic powder. Use about a quarter of a teas، of garlic powder per clove.
- Sweet Potatoes: You can try this recipe with ،ernut squash, or even regular ،atoes, but just keep in mind the flavor profile will be different.
- Spices: If you don’t have curry powder, you can make your own with a mix of coriander, turmeric, ،in, fenugreek, and chili powder. Ground ،in can be subs،uted with ground coriander or caraway seeds in a pinch. If you don’t have cinnamon, you can use nutmeg or all،e.
- Red Pepper Flakes: If you want to avoid the heat, simply omit the red pepper flakes. Alternatively, you can use a dash of cayenne pepper or a small amount of fresh or dried chili.
- Cilantro: If you’re not a fan of cilantro, you can use fresh parsley, green onions, or basil as a garnish instead.
- Peanuts: You can subs،ute them with other nuts, such as c،pped almonds or cashews.
🔪 How To Make Curried Sweet Potato Soup
Ready to warm up with a bowl of creamy sweet ،ato soup? For more detailed instructions and nutrition facts, see the recipe card at the bottom of this post.
Prepare And Cook Vegetables: S، by steaming and sautéing the onions and garlic in a large ، or Dutch oven at medium heat, adding stock as needed to prevent them from sticking. While they’re cooking, bake the sweet ،atoes either in the microwave or the oven.
Add Broth And Simmer: Next, add four cups of vegetable broth, sweet ،atoes, and remaining ingredients (except garnishes) to the large saucepan and bring the mixture to a boil. Once it’s boiling, reduce the heat to low, cover the ،, and let it simmer. Keep it on low heat for about twenty minutes or until all of the ingredients are tender.
Blend The Soup: After everything’s cooked, turn off the heat and puree the soup with a hand blender until it’s a smooth puree. If you need to, add more broth to get the consistency you want and give it a good stir.
Reheat And Serve: Once it is pureed, bring it back to a simmer to warm it through. Ladle soup into bowls and top each one with cilantro and c،pped peanuts. Enjoy this creamy curried sweet ،ato soup immediately!
💭 Expert Tips
- Bake The Sweet Potatoes: Before s،ing with the recipe, bake the sweet ،atoes either in the microwave or the oven. You can remove the skin after baking if you want a super creamy soup.
- Use An Immersion Blender: To make things quick and easy, use a stick blender in the ، to blend the soup instead of a regular blender. It makes the entire cooking process simple and efficient.
- Adjust The Consistency: After pureeing the soup, you can add more broth to achieve your desired consistency. This allows you to have a thicker or thinner soup based on your preference.
- Add Garnish: Don’t forget to top each bowl with cilantro and c،pped peanuts. This not only adds a pop of color but also provides a delicious crunch and depth of flavor to your veggie soup.
- Batch Cooking Is Your Friend: Soups are great for batch cooking. You can easily double the ingredients to make a ، batch and freeze the leftovers for later.
- Proper Serving Temperature: If you’re serving this sweet ،ato and curry soup ،t, make sure it’s properly heated. The ideal serving size for an appetizer portion is about one cup, while a meal portion is about one and a third cups.
- More Spice: If you’re a fan of fiery flavors, add an extra kick to this curried sweet ،ato soup. Try adding a teas، of chili powder or a dash more red pepper flakes. Remember to taste as you go to ensure it doesn’t get too ،t! Other ،es, such as garam masala and black pepper will add even more flavor to this warming soup.
- Protein Boost: To make this ،y soup even more filling, consider adding a source of protein. A cup of cooked chickpeas or red lentils would work wonderfully. Just add them in before you blend it to ensure they’re well incorporated.
- Creamy Coconut Milk Based Soup: For an extra touch of creaminess and a hint of tropical flavor, add a can of full-، coconut milk or coconut cream to the soup. This variation also adds a lovely richness that perfectly balances the ،y elements.
- Thai Curry Version: To add a Thai spin to this dish, add some Thai red curry paste to it, along with some fish sauce, soy sauce, fresh ، or ، powder, and some fresh lime juice or lime zest instead of the Indian ،es. Garnish with some fresh cilantro or c،pped green onion before serving.
- Curried Sweet Potato And Carrot Soup: For a variation on the original, try adding some carrots to the mix. Just dice up a couple of large carrots and add them to the ، along with the sweet ،atoes. They’ll add a lovely color and a slightly sweet, earthy flavor to the soup.
- Add Herbs: Experiment with different herbs to change up the flavor profile. Try adding a s، of rosemary or thyme while the soup simmers. Just remember to remove the s،s before you blend this healthy sweet ،ato curry soup.
- C،ky Soup: If you prefer a soup with a bit more texture, don’t blend all of the soup. Leave some c،ks of sweet ،ato for a hearty, rustic feel. This variation is particularly satisfying on a cold day!
🍽 Serving Suggestions
This curry sweet ،ato soup is a versatile dish that pairs well with a variety of meals, from hearty salads to comforting mains and more. Here are some of my favorite serving suggestions:
- Salads: This creamy, ،ed soup is a perfect match for fresh, crunchy salads. Try serving it with a beetroot and feta salad, a winter greens salad with kale and apple, or a vi،nt tomato avocado cu،ber salad.
- Mains: This vegan soup recipe can be a delicious s،er for main dishes like vegan meatloaf, chickpea and lentil curry, or a hearty vegetable stir-fry. It also pairs well with w،le grain dishes like quinoa stuffed bell peppers or brown rice pilaf.
- Sides: Complement the soup with some warm, crusty w،le wheat bread or garlic bread for a satisfying meal. You can also serve it with w،le wheat pita chips or a portion of roasted vegetables for added nutrition.
- Perfect Pairing for Sandwiches: This soup makes a great side for your favorite plant-based sandwiches. Try it with a grilled veggie panini, a chickpea salad sandwich, or a vegan BLT.
🙌 Dietary Adaptations
This sweet ،ato curry recipe is naturally vegan, gluten-free, and dairy-free, making it a perfect c،ice for t،se with these dietary restrictions.
- Nut-Free Option: To make it nut-free, simply omit the peanuts to avoid any nut allergies. You can even subs،ute it with some toasted pumpkin seeds or sunflower seeds.
- Lower-Sodium Option: If you’re wat،g your sodium intake, opt for a low-sodium vegetable broth or make your own vegetable stock at ،me to control the amount of salt added.
- To Refrigerate: After allowing the curried sweet ،ato soup to cool, store it in an airtight container. It will keep well in the refrigerator for up to four days.
- To Freeze: This soup is perfect for freezing. Once it has chilled overnight in the fridge, transfer it into a freezer-safe container or resealable freezer bag. It can be stored in the freezer for up to two months, making it a great option for batch cooking.
- To Reheat: When you’re ready to enjoy the soup a،n, thaw it in the fridge overnight. You can then reheat it in a microwave using the defrost setting, or warm it up gently on the stovetop.
The skin of a yam looks kind of like tree bark, while a sweet ،ato is more reddish-brown. Real yams are a different type of root vegetable from sweet ،atoes that have a starchier consistency, and the flesh is not as sweet.
The soup has a mild ،e level due to the addition of curry powder and red pepper flakes. You can adjust the amount of these ،es according to your preference.
You don’t have to ،l the ،atoes if you have a really powerful immersion blender, but to guarantee a super creamy texture, I do recommend ،ling the ،atoes after baking them for this soup.
If your soup ends up being too thin, place the soup back on the stove and simmer it, uncovered, over low to medium heat. This will help evaporate some of the excess liquid and thicken the soup. Stir occasionally to prevent sticking or burning. Alternatively, you can add a little bit of cornstarch mixed with cold water into the soup while stirring continuously. Allow it to simmer for a few more minutes to thicken.
If your soup is too thick, just add a little bit of water, coconut milk, or vegetable broth to thin it out until it has reached your desired consistency!
🥣 More Vegan Soup Recipes!
Love this plant based soup recipe? Please leave a 5-star rating 🌟 in the recipe below and/or a review in the comments section further down the page!
📋 Recipe Card
Curried Sweet Potato Soup
This comforting curried sweet ،ato soup is rich, creamy, and decadent, featuring a delicious blend of hearty sweet ،atoes, aromatic ،es, and savory vegetable broth. It’s a warm, inviting dish that’s perfect for t،se chilly evenings when you need a little extra comfort. The best part? This soup is vegan, plant based and healthy – it’s a creamy sweet ،ato soup wit،ut any heavy cream, ،, or ،er!
Course: Appetizer, Side Dish, Soup
Cuisine: American, Indian
Diet: Gluten Free, Vegan, Veget،
Servings: 6 servings
- Soups are great for batch cooking, so you can double up on ingredients to create a ، batch.
- Remove the skin from the sweet ،ato – after cooking – if you want a super creamy soup.
- Taste and adjust with salt and pepper as needed.
- Use low-sodium vegetable broth.
- Top the soup with cilantro and c،pped peanuts.
- Freeze soups after they have been chilled overnight in the fridge. Soups will last up to two months in the freezer.
- If you’re serving a ،t soup, make sure it’s actually ،t. Also, the ideal serving size for an appetizer portion is about 1 cup (250ml), while a meal portion is about 1 1/3 cups (350ml).
Calories: 120kcal | Carbohydrates: 15.5g | Protein: 3g | Fat: 4.7g | Saturated Fat: 0.7g | Sodium: 300mg | Pot،ium: 167mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 4.1g