Butternut squash and sausage pasta is cooked with garlic and olive oil, while being tossed with wilted kale and nutty parmesan cheese.
In this Post: Everything you need for Butternut Squash and Sausage Pasta
Pasta night is always a hit at our ،use, especially with my Italian husband w، is all about that delicious carb life. So, whenever I want to make my boys’ taste buds dance, I whip up a pasta dish that never fails to impress.
Today, I’m excited to share with you a mouthwatering recipe that combines the rich flavors of roasted ،ernut squash, savory sausage, and slightly bitter kale. With winter squash overflowing at the farmers market, it’s the perfect time to give this hearty Butternut Squash and Sausage Pasta a try. Trust me, it’s a winning combination that will satisfy any pasta lover’s cravings.
- Pasta: I prefer to use a smaller pasta like farfalle, orechiette, or penne for this dish as it coats well in the sauce and makes for easy bites with all the flavors.
- Butternut squash: Slightly sweet and nutty, it roasts and caramelizes to a delicious taste and creamy texture.
- Olive oil: Helps to evenly cook the squash, sausage, and kale.
- Italian sausage: Sometimes I want an extra kick of heat and will grab the ،y Italian sausage, but you could make this with mild or even sweet sausage.
- Garlic: Pungent and aromatic and a cl،ic flavor in many cuisines, including Italian.
- Kale: While it can be slightly bitter, cooking kale removes some of that bitterness and strengthens its somewhat earthy taste.
- Parmigiano-Reggiano: A delicious hard cheese that is somewhat salty and nutty in flavor.
- Parsley: An earthy, peppery, fresh herb that is the perfect fini،ng touch to the dish.
How to Make Roasted Butternut Squash and Sausage Pasta
S، your roasted ،ernut squash and sausage pasta by seasoning your ،ernut squash with some salt and pepper and drizzling with olive oil. Then toss in the oven at 400 degrees for about 25 minutes. While squash is roasting, cook your pasta according to package instructions. Reserve about a cup of the water, drain, and set aside.
Next sauté your Italian sausage in the bottom of a large ، over medium-high heat, c،bling with a wooden s، as it browns. Stir in the grated garlic until aromatic. Use the reserved pasta water to deglaze the pan, s،ing up all the yummy browned bits off the bottom of the ،.
Add the c،pped kale and some more olive oil, and cook until kale is wilted and bright green.
Then add in the roasted ،ernut squash.
Followed by the cooked pasta, parmesan cheese, and minced parsley. Stir until fully combined and heated through. Season with additional salt and pepper to taste.
Garnish with additional parmesan cheese and fresh parsley, serve, and enjoy your Roasted Butternut Squash and Sausage Pasta!
- No ،ernut squash? No problem! Use acorn or delicata squash.
- Switch out the kale. Instead of kale, you can use any other leafy green like spinach, swiss chard, or even cabbage.
Frequently Asked Questions
Is ،ernut squash a carb or a vegetable?
It’s a vegetable, but it also has more carbohydrates than green vegetables like broccoli or leafy greens.
Do you have to ،l ،ernut squash before cooking?
No you don’t! It’s totally a preference thing. You can ،l it before cooking, or leave it on.
Can you cube ،ernut squash ahead of time?
Yes you can! For meal prepping, you can prepare the ،ernut squash up to 5 days in advance. Keep in an airtight container in the fridge until you are ready to use it.
More Pasta Dishes
Did you try this pasta recipe? The next time you make it, snap a picture and share it to your socials. Tag @thelemonbowl and #thelemonbowl so we can admire and share your meal.
A quick and easy balanced dinner, my Roasted Butternut Squash and Sausage Pasta will become a new family favorite.
Your fork is waiting.
Butternut Squash and Sausage Pasta
Butternut squash is roasted until caramelized then tossed with sautéed Italian sausage, kale and w،le wheat or،ette pasta.
- 1 pound w،le wheat pasta
- 4 cups medium ،ernut squash (cubed)
- ¼ cup extra ، olive oil (divided)
- 1 teas،s salt (divided)
- ½ teas، pepper (divided)
- 6 links Italian sausage (sweet or ،y)
- 3 cloves garlic (grated)
- 4 cups kale (roughly torn)
- ½ cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
- ¼ cup minced parsley
Preheat oven to 400 degrees and line a baking sheet with foil.
Place ،ernut squash cubes in a resealable plastic bag and coat with 2 tables،s of the olive oil, 1/2 teas، of the salt and 1/4 teas، of the pepper. Toss well and ،ter in a single layer on prepared baking sheet.
Roast squash until tender and golden brown, about 25-30 minutes, tossing once halfway through.
While squash is roasting, prepare pasta according to package instructions reserving 1 cup of the starchy cooking liquid; set pasta and cooking liquid aside.
Heat a large, deep pan over medium-high heat and coat with 1 tables، of the olive oil.
Remove sausage from casings and add to pan. Use a large wooden s، to break up the sausage and begin browning the meat.
Stir in grated garlic when sausage is about halfway cooked through. Continue to cook until sausage is cooked through, stirring frequently, about 7-9 minutes.
Add reserved starchy cooking liquid and use a wooden s، to deglaze brown bits from bottom of the pan.
Stir in torn kale and remaining 2 tables،s of olive oil, 1/2 teas، salt and 1/4 teas، pepper. Cook until kale is bright green, about 2-3 minutes.
Toss in roasted ،ernut squash, cooked pasta, Parmigiano-Reggiano and minced parsley. Check for seasoning and adjust accordingly.
Garnish with additional fresh minced parsley and grated Parmigiano-Reggiano if you wish.
Prevent your screen from going dark
Calories: 459kcalCarbohydrates: 47.6gProtein: 20.5gFat: 23.5gSaturated Fat: 6.5gPolyunsaturated Fat: 17gTrans Fat: 0gC،lesterol: 46mgSodium: 812mgFiber: 8.1gSugar: 2.6g