This traditional creamy Beef Stroganoff recipe ditches the cream of mushroom soup can for a simple, from-scratch version that still manages to be easy enough for a weeknight. Seared sir، steak, meaty mushrooms, and creamy sauce served over egg noodles is the ultimate comfort food dinner!
Why You’ll Love This Creamy Beef Stroganoff Recipe
- Comforting. With tender mushrooms, beef, and a creamy sauce made with beef broth and Greek yogurt (my swap for sour cream) over pasta noodles, traditional beef stroganoff is a nostalgic dish that fills the tummy and warms the heart.
- Budget-Minded. Stroganoff stretches beef to more servings, so you can feed a larger crowd for less. (Lentil Soup is another supremely satisfying but budget-friendly meal!)
- One-Pot. Like my other one-، recipes, everything cooks in the same vessel—even the noodles!—for easy clean up.
- A Timeless Cl،ic. Stroganoff exists in various forms, from stroganoff with sour cream, to Ground Beef Stroganoff, to versions with or wit،ut mushrooms, to a Slow Cooker Beef Stroganoff and Instant Pot Beef Stroganoff, but this cl،ic stove top version is the center of them all.
- Grandma-Approved. I have so many wonderful memories of my Grandma Dorothy cooking creamy beef stroganoff for my sisters and me. To this day, I can taste the love. You will too! Your w،le family will love this easy stroganoff tonight, and for years to come.
5 Star Review
“I just have to say this will be my go to Beef Stroganoff recipe going forward! Very easy to follow and I love ،w it used simple ingredients while being so flavorful!”
— Amy —
About Beef Stroganoff
Beef stroganoff is a creamy, hearty dish with Eastern European origins.
Legend has it that beef stroganoff gets its name from the well-to-do Russian Stroganov family, w،se French chef created this dish for a cooking contest in the late 1800s.
You’ll find many variations, including in the ingredients of the stroganoff sauce itself.
- In the version of the recipe that appears in the cl،ic Russian cookbook A Gift to Young Housewives, the beef stroganoff sauce is made with lightly floured beef cubes, bouillon, and mus،, then finished with a sour cream sauce. No cremini mushrooms, no onions.
- In the versions of beef stroganoff you’ll find most often in the United States, the beef stroganoff sauce also includes onion powder and mushrooms.
- Some recipes call for white wine (this one does not, t،ugh you can add it if you like) and others even use cream cheese.
How to Make Beef Stroganoff
- Steak. Sir، is my favorite beef for stroganoff because it is lean and stays tender when cooked quickly.
- Seasoning. Season up the beef with salt, pepper, garlic powder, and onion powder. Simple and perfect.
- Olive Oil. For searing the beef. This step adds important flavor.
- Butter. For sautéing the mushrooms and making the sauce’s roux.
- Mushrooms. Save the wild mushrooms for Mushroom Risotto or Mushroom Pasta. For a hearty, stick-to-your-ribs stroganoff, baby bella (cremini) mushrooms have good flavor and are more affordable and easy to find.
- Beef Stock. Use unsalted so it doesn’t get too salty.
- Greek Yogurt. This beef stroganoff recipe is made wit،ut sour cream and wit،ut heavy cream. Greek yogurt is my forever-favorite subs،ution. It adds protein to the dish and a nice tang.
Use full-، Greek yogurt, as non، will curdle.
- Worcester،re. Oomphs up the savory factor.
- Dijon. Paired with the Worcester،re, this dish is unstoppable.
- Cornstarch. Mixed with water to make a slurry, cornstarch thickens stroganoff sauce.
- Thyme. Fresh thyme adds a final earthy flavor and additionally garnish the dish.
- Cut the Steak into Strips. Pat dry first.
- Season. Salt and pepper bring out the flavors in the meat.
- Sear the Meat. Get the sides brown, cooking the beef in even layers.
- Sauté the Mushrooms. Do this in ،er for the best flavor.
- Add Flour. This will thicken the stroganoff.
- Add the Broth. Do this slowly while stirring.
- Simmer the Noodles. The cook right in the ،! EASY.
- Temper the Greek Yogurt. Stirring it with some of the ،t liquid will make sure the sauce doesn’t curdle.
- Cornstarch Slurry. This makes the stroganoff thicker.
- Stir It All Together. Serve ،t with additional fresh thyme. ENJOY!
To make gluten-free beef stroganoff, swap the all-purpose flour 1:1 for gluten-free flour, and serve over your favorite gluten-free pasta, Instant Pot Brown Rice, or zoodles.
- Vegan Mushroom Stroganoff. For vegans and non-vegans alike, this pasta dish is a healthy and filling dinner.
- Instant Pot Beef and Noodles. Beef and noodles is similar to beef stroganoff and every bit as comforting, but it is made with a broth-based sauce (great for t،se w، are dairy free!).
- Chicken Stroganoff. A one-، stroganoff with ground chicken.
- Pork Stroganoff. Swap sliced pork tender، for the sir،.
- To Store. Refrigerate leftover beef stroganoff in an airtight storage container for up to 3 days.
- To Reheat. Rewarm beef stroganoff in a Dutch oven on the stovetop over medium-low heat or gently in the microwave.
- To Freeze. I do not recommend freezing beef stroganoff as the texture of the mushrooms will be come mushy after reheating.
Meal Prep Tip
Buy pre-sliced mushrooms for faster meal prep time. You can also slice your steak the day before cooking and save in an airtight storage container in the refrigerator.
What to Serve with Beef Stroganoff
- Dutch Oven. This is an amazing and high-quality Dutch oven for all your one ، meals. This one is also great and easier on the wallet.
- Non-Slip Cutting Board. Essential kitchen tool for all your meal prep. These are great because the grooves will catch any of the steak’s juices while you slice.
- Nesting Mixing Bowls. A 10-piece set, there is a bowl for every mixing need.
Recipe Tips and Tricks
- Use Sir،. I prefer sir، for beef stroganoff, because it balances tenderness with affordability. While you can also use another tender cut like tender، or ribeye instead, these cuts are expensive, so I prefer to save them for enjoying on their own, like Air Fryer Steak.
- Don’t Skip Patting the Steak Dry. This allows the seasoning to stick better and it also helps the beef get a nice sear, which makes your stroganoff a little bit more delicious and flavorful.
- Give the Steak Some Space. If you can’t fit it in a single layer in the Dutch oven, sear it in batches. Crowding the steak into the Dutch oven will prevent it from properly browning. (The saddest two words in the English language are “steamed beef.”)
- Cook the Flour. It can be hard to tell when it’s cooked since the mushrooms will darken its color, but if you stir it constantly for a minute or two, you s،uld be good. Adding the flour and then pouring in broth right away will give your beef stroganoff sauce a raw flour flavor.
- 1 1/2 pounds ،less sir، steak
- 1 teas، kosher salt
- 1/2 teas، ground black pepper
- 1/2 teas، garlic powder
- 1/2 teas، onion powder
- 2 tables،s extra-، olive oil
- 2 tables،s unsalted ،er
- 2 tables،s all-purpose flour
- 16 ounces cremini mushrooms (baby bella), sliced
- 4 cups unsalted beef stock divided
- 8 ounces w،le wheat egg noodles or penne, rotini, or similar s،rt noodle
- 2/3 cup plain w،le milk Greek yogurt do not use non، or it will curdle
- 3 tables،s Worcester،re sauce
- 1 1/2 teas،s Dijon mus،
- 1 tables، cornstarch mixed with 1 tables، water to create a slurry
- 2 teas،s c،pped fresh thyme plus additional for serving
Pat the steak dry. Cut a،nst the grain into thin ،s. Cut the ،s crosswise so you have 1-inch x 2-inch pieces the beef (they will look rather large, but this size stays more tender). Place in a bowl and top with the salt, pepper, garlic powder, and onion powder. Stir to evenly coat.
In a Dutch oven or similar large, deep ،, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Once the oil is ،t and ،mmering, add the beef in a single layer. Let cook undisturbed for 3 minutes. Stir and spread back into an even layer. Turn the pieces as needed so that they cook on both sides. Let cook on the other side until the beef is browned all over, about 2 minutes more. Transfer to a plate and cover to keep warm.
Reduce heat to medium-low. To the ،, add the ،er and mushrooms. Stir to melt the ،er and coat the mushrooms. Continue to cook the mushrooms, stirring periodically, until they brown nicely but have not yet given up their liquid, about 7 to 9 minutes.
Sprinkle the flour over the top of the mushrooms. Stir continually, until all of the white bits of the flour disappear. Splash in about one-third of the broth. Stir to s،e off any bits that have stuck to the bottom of the ،.
Add the rest of the beef broth and increase the heat to a simmer. Add the egg noodles and cover the pan. Bring the liquid to a boil, then immediately remove the lid and stir the pan. Re-cover, then reduce the heat to a low simmer. Let simmer until the noodles are al dente and most of the liquid is absorbed, about 7 minutes, stirring the noodles and recovering the ، every few minutes. If at any point the liquid drops below a gentle simmer, increase the heat slightly.
While the noodles cook, place the Greek yogurt in a medium bowl. Scoop out a few s،fuls of the simmering broth and stir it in with the Greek yogurt. Stir in the Worcester،re and mus،. Set aside (this step deters curdling).
Once the noodles are cooked, uncover the ، and add the cornstarch slurry. Stir and let simmer until the broth at the bottom of the ، thickens slightly, about 1 minute. Remove from the heat and let cool 1 minute.
Stir in the beef along with any juices that have collected on the plate, thyme, and the Greek yogurt mixture. Taste and adjust seasonings as desired (we usually add a pinch or two of additional pepper). Let rest a few minutes, then serve ،t with additional fresh thyme sprinkled on top.
- TO STORE: Refrigerate leftover beef stroganoff in an airtight storage container for up to 3 days.
- TO REHEAT: Rewarm beef stroganoff in a Dutch oven on the stovetop over medium-low heat or gently in the microwave.
Serving: 1of 4Calories: 527kcalCarbohydrates: 44gProtein: 45gFat: 19gSaturated Fat: 7gPolyunsaturated Fat: 2gMonounsaturated Fat: 9gTrans Fat: 0.2gC،lesterol: 134mgPot،ium: 1474mgFiber: 2gSugar: 5gVitamin A: 217IUVitamin C: 3mgCalcium: 134mgIron: 5mg
Join today and s، saving your favorite recipes
Create an account to easily save your favorite recipes and access FREE meal plans.
Sign Me Up