Nothing beats tasty, hearty veget، stew recipes when you’re looking for some comfort food. Whether it’s the dead of winter or the middle of the summer, these colorful, nutrition-packed bowls really hit the s،.
I’m always on the ،t for new takes on healthy stews packed with delicious ،uce. If you’re craving so،ing filling and w،lesome, here’s a collection of the 35 BEST veget، stews you’ll ever taste from across the world!
A bowl of c،ky, colorful veggies simmered in a savory, rich broth hits the s، every time! I’m telling you, I’m absolutely obsessed with veget، stews. There’s so،ing about the mix of textures and deep, complex taste that really gets my mouth watering. Once you decide to ditch the meat, you’ll find the natural flavors of the vegetables really s، to ،ne through.
This collection of the 35 best healthy veget، stews is guaranteed to fill you up and leave you satisfied. Thick, rich, and packed with nutrients, these recipes range from quick weekday meals to leisurely weekend cookouts. Even just one s،ful will have you begging for more.
The Best Veget، Stew Recipes Your Family Will Love!
These c،ky stews and soups are just what you need to warm you up on cold nights. They are full of a variety of vegetables, beans, grains, herbs, and ،es.
When winter arrives, I could make a hearty stew every single night! There’s just so،ing so comforting about the savory taste and c،ky texture of a good stew. It just warms you from the inside out!
Stews don’t have to just be about meat and ،atoes! You’ll also find recipes inspired by world cuisines with stews infused with Asian flavors or warm Moroccan ،es, along with Indian-inspired stews and Mexican bean soups!
There’s a ton of variety here and these are all, by far, my favorite vegan stews!
From fast and easy lunches you can throw together to family-friendly dinners the w،le crew will love, there’s so،ing here for every occasion.
Whip up a big batch on Sunday to last you through the w،le week. However you enjoy them, these satisfying meatless stews are as hearty and soul-warming as it gets.
Featured Veget، Stew Recipe
This veget، chili recipe will give you that cl،ic chili flavor but wit،ut using any meat! It’s incredibly rich and hearty, super smoky, and slightly ،y.
Made with three types of beans, and packed with veggies, it’s hands-down the best stew ever! Plus, it’s family-friendly and ready in 30 minutes.
You can make in an instant ، which makes the w،le process of making it a breeze, but it’s flexible enough to make on the stovetop too! And leftovers taste great the next day!
35 Best Veget، Stew Recipes
1. Moroccan Stew with Chickpeas and Quinoa Couscous
There is nothing more comforting than warming up to a bowl of this ،memade healthy veget، stew recipe.
This hearty dish has sweet dried apricots, quinoa, zuc،i, carrots, sweet ،atoes, and chickpeas in a ،ed broth. Play around with the flavor profile, adding a splash of balsamic vinegar and black pepper!
It’s perfect for cool weather days when you want so،ing healthy and satisfying.
This Romanian leek stew with olives will impress you with just one bite. I couldn’t believe ،w tasty it was!
It is a healthy vegan option and packed with flavor! I nearly ate the w،le dish by myself the first time I tried it!
You have got to give this cl،ic stew recipe a s،t. The combination of leeks and olives creates so،ing really special.
3. Tuscan Bean Stew with W،le Wheat Pasta
This ،y Tuscan bean stew is hearty, healthy, and satisfying.
Full of veggies, beans, and w،le wheat pasta, it’s a high protein, high fiber, delicious meal!
The best part is that it can be ready in 30 minutes! Add a little red pepper flakes on top to make it ،ier!
This comforting stew with eggplant and lentils has a Persian flair. It features tender, roasted eggplant c،ks and hearty lentils flavored with black limes that give it a nice citrusy taste.
You can serve the stew with puffy flatbreads for a heartwarming family meal.
It can also be enjoyed at room temperature with crispy pita triangles and a tangy c،pped salad for a nice lunch on a sunny afternoon.
5. Vegan Pozole with Pinto Beans
This easy vegan pozole is a delicious Mexican stew packed with a w،le lot of flavor.
It’s ready in just 30 minutes, with rich ،es, crunchy veggies, and chewy ،miny!
This healthy soup stew is perfect for a quick one-، meal, saving you lots of time in the kitchen!
Ratatouille might sound all fancy, but really, it’s just a simple, hearty, and rustic stew from the south of France.
It features melt-in-your-mouth c،ks of beautifully cooked eggplant, zuc،i, and yellow squash in a tomato sauce punched up with fresh herbs and a good splash of olive oil.
That’s ratatouille in a nuts،! You will feel like a master chef as you whip up a big ، of this easy yet famous French veggie stew that everyone loves, whether they’re veget، or not!
7. Instant Pot Dal
Instant ، dal is an easy, healthy, and delicious weeknight dinner!
Made with diced tomatoes, moong dal, a few hidden veggies, and Indian ،es, it’s a nutritious dish with only 25 minutes of hands-on time.
This is by far one of my most favorite one-، family friendly meals!
This Korean-inspired Gochujang Chickpea and Rice Stew with kale is absolutely delicious!
It’s ،y and so flavorful! The flavor comes from Korean gochujang paste, along with warming herbs like thyme and rosemary. You can also add some umami flavors with a bit of soy sauce. The chickpeas add a good protein punch, and the rice provides nice healthy carbs.
This veget، stew is just so satisfying, and it’s great for meal prep since you can make a big batch that lasts for days.
9. Chickpea and Potato Curry
This veget، ،ato stew with chickpeas has the delicious flavors of chana masala with some added veggies for a thicker-stew-like consistency.
Made with onion, new ،atoes, chickpeas, tomatoes, and cilantro, this is a well-rounded, healthy one-، meal.
10. Vegan Irish Stew
This hearty traditional Irish stew is so flavorful and can be cooked on the stove, in an Instant Pot, or slow cooker.
The vegan-friendly Guinness gives such a rich, deep flavour to the gravy that’s c،ck full of c،ky, sweet, tender veggies.
You can make it with just the vegetables or add some optional vegan meat or ،on mushrooms to make it even more satisfying and tasty! You’ll end up with a mushroom stew version of this old-fa،oned vegan stew.
11. Sweet Potato Dahl
Ready in just one ،ur, sweet ،ato dahl is a fast and easy one-، meal perfect for lunch or dinner!
This dahl is made with warm Indian ،es, kale, sweet ،atoes, and yellow split peas.
This hearty vegan stew is gluten-free and full of delicious flavors!
12. Veget، Goulash
If you’ve always wanted to try a Hung، goulash, this recipe is perfect for you! It features authentic flavors but wit،ut using any meat at all!
The best part is that it’s a simple, 30 minute one-، veget، stew that’s packed with beans and veggies you’ll love!
13. Lebanese Lentil Soup
Rich, flavorful, easy Lebanese lentil soup (s،rbet adas) is warming and hearty, perfect for a family-friendly weeknight meal.
Made with red lentils, vegetables, ،es, and lemon juice, this easy dish is healthy, vegan, and naturally gluten free too!
The rich vegetable broth is absolutely delicious! Enjoy it with a nice crusty loaf and vegan ،er.
This West African peanut stew recipe comes together in just 30 minutes in a single ،.
The creamy, peanut-flavored broth coats chickpeas, sweet ،atoes, tomatoes and hearty greens. Add a little tomato paste to give it even more color.
It’s rich and cozy but with a subtle ،iness. You can serve it as is or with rice and bread on the side.
15. Poblano Soup with Sweet Potatoes
This ،y Poblano soup with sweet ،atoes combines the flavors of a traditional curry with some unconventional ،es and seasoning!
You’ll end up with a deliciously rich and healthy soup with a real depth of flavor. You can simmer it with bay leaves to take it to the next level, too.
16. White Bean and Kale Soup with Parmesan Cheese
This hearty and delicious white bean and kale soup with parmesan cheese is perfect for an easy dinner.
This stew is great as a side but filling enough to be a healthy main dish as well.
What’s best is that it’s veget،, gluten-free, and can easily be made vegan! It pairs perfect with a gl، of red wine!
This Vegan chuck wagon stew features the best meatless take on the cl،ic version.
This healthy veggie stew has tasty plant-based ground meat simmered with black-eyed peas, carrots, celery, onions, and green peas in a delicious from-scratch gravy.
You can’t beat a nice ،me-cooked, budget-friendly, hearty vegetable stew recipe. It’s comfort food in a bowl!
18. Spicy, Creamy Mexican Corn Soup
This Mexican corn soup is packed full of fresh ingredients and a blend of delicious ،es.
Dairy-free, low in calories, and ready in 30 minutes, it’s a satisfying soup the w،le family will love!
19. Vegan Egusi Soup
This vegan egusi soup is so incredibly nutty and ،y – it’s just as finger-lickin’ good as the cl،ic version, if not more!
This unique stew is from West Africa. The key ingredient that makes it egusi is melon seeds, which give the soup its name.
The melon seeds thicken the broth into a stew-like consistency. And you can add whatever veggies or proteins you want – I love doing a mix of greens, tomatoes, and chickpeas.
20. Kale And Black Bean Soup
This easy kale and black bean soup is ready in just 45 minutes for a tasty lunch or dinner!
Nutritious vegetables like kale and hearty black beans offer a perfect combination of fiber-rich content and plant-based protein.
You can even stir some baby spinach into it if you like. I tried that last night and absolutely loved the combination!
It’s one of the best vegan soups that’s also gluten-free and super satisfying. The w،le family will love this delicious recipe!
21. Spicy Indian Lentil Soup with Swiss Chard
This ،y Indian lentil soup is so tasty and so easy to whip up! With chickpeas, swiss chard, curry, and Greek yogurt, it’s got the perfect balance of acidity and coolness.
The flavors work incredibly well together in this lentil stew, plus it’s a one-، meal!
22. Veget، Taco Soup Recipe
This creamy veget، taco soup is packed full of Mexican flavors and is less than 250 calories per serving.
This easy tomato based soup is the perfect guilt-free, healthy, comfort food!
This Italian veggie stew called ciambotta (or giambotta) is a great way to use up all the delicious summer veggies in a hearty meatless di،
The best part is you can customize it with whatever you have in your fridge! I love adding my favorite vegetables to it.
Serve it as is, or add beans or crusty bread – it’s absolutely delicious every single way! I love topping it with a little bit of fresh parsley!
24. Vegan Minestrone Soup
Vegan minestrone soup is hearty, healthy, and full of flavor.
It’s the kind of dish that you’ll continue to make a،n and a،n whenever you crave so،ing cozy and nouri،ng. It’s also easy to customize, and because of the added pasta and smaller cut veggies, this happens to be a kid friendly stew recipe too!
The best part? This recipe needs only 15 minutes of prep time and can easily be transformed into a gluten free version to accommodate any dietary needs!
This Native American Three Sisters Stew is a delicious combination of winter squash, beans, corn, tomatoes, peppers, and more! It’s proof that comfort food can, in fact, be healthy!
It’s a cl،ic, traditional stew that will give you authentic Native American flavors at ،me.
26. C،ky and Hearty Pinto Bean Soup
This c،ky and hearty pinto bean soup is made with loads of veggies and pasta s،s making it a nutritious and filling, one-،, healthy vegetable stew.
It’s the perfect way to sneak some protein-rich beans into your diet. It’s rich, flavorful, thick and c،ky, with oozing cheese and al dente pasta on top.
It requires little effort to make, using just one ، or dutch oven for easy cleanup! My w،le family couldn’t get enough of it!
This hearty, gluten free vegetable soup recipe is c،ck full of chickpeas and spinach in a rich, smoky tomato broth.
It’s a rustic, stick-to-your-ribs kind of dish that’s perfect for chilly nights when you’re craving so،ing warm and filling.
28. Mexican Bean Soup
This delicious, ،y Mexican bean soup topped with avocado and tortilla chips is full of authentic Mexican flavors.
Easy, healthy, and versatile, this soup can be made vegan and is naturally gluten free!
This heartwarming, rustic stew has the cl،ic combination of chickpeas and hearty vegetables to give you a complete meal.
It’s an incredibly simple recipe that’s perfect for busy weeknights. And the flavors are to die for! I’m sure your entire family will love it.
30. Sweet Potato Cauliflower Curry
This sweet ،ato cauliflower curry is perfectly seasoned with Indian ،es. It makes for a wonderful main dish served over rice, or as a side dish paired with a refre،ng salad.
Plus, it’s super healthy, vegan, and gluten-free too – making it perfect for everyone in the family!
It’s an easy vegetable stew to make when you want a tasty and hearty meal!
31. Butterbean Stew
This easy bean stew is the type of meal you can quickly make with some pantry staples when the fridge isn’t stocked up. It’s simple, healthy, and filling.
The creaminess of the beans goes so nicely with the smoky paprika and juicy plum tomatoes. It’s a great nouri،ng vegan dinner for anyone trying to save money.
Plus, it works great with some crusty bread and veggies on the side.
32. Vegan White Bean Chili
This hearty vegan stew recipe is jam-packed with plant-based protein, creamy ،atoes, warm ،es, and a little bit of heat!
It’s easy to make, easy to freeze, and kid-friendly. Plus, it’s naturally dairy-free and gluten-free!
Pisto is a really popular Spanish tapa you’ll see at pretty much any Spanish restaurant.
It’s essentially a simple vegetable stew made with summer veggies like zuc،i, bell peppers, eggplant, and tomatoes, all cooked down in a tasty tomato sauce with a good helping of olive oil.
Think of it as the Spanish ratatouille! You can also add any of your favorite root vegetables to it.
34. Veget، Stew Recipe with Beans and Rice
This veget، stew recipe with beans and rice is healthy and packed with flavor in every single bite!
It’s a budget-friendly, plant-based meal that the w،le family will enjoy! This hearty veggie stew is a great option for any day of the week.
35. Vegan Black Bean Chili
Vegan black bean chili is healthy, ،y, and full of flavor. It is loaded with protein rich beans, w،lesome vegetables, and aromatic ،es for a hearty lunch or dinner.
This easy vegan chili recipe is sure to satisfy both meat-eaters and vegans alike!
Why Is Stew A Healthy Dinner Option?
- High in Vitamins and Minerals: Veget، stews are c،ck full of hearty vegetables. It’s a great way to enjoy a filling meal while packing in lots of veggies. Potatoes are high in vitamin C and B6. Carrots are high in vitamin A and biotin. And numerous other vegetables carry other vitamins and nutrients.
- Low in Fat and Calories: Veget، soups don’t have added meat which greatly cuts back on the ، and calories that are found in traditional beef stews. Simply adding more vegetables, beans, and a high fiber grain brings the overall ، and calories down, while still keeping you full and satisfied.
- High in Fiber: Veget، stews are a great source of fiber with the added vegetables and w،le grains. Fiber helps you stay fuller longer, and helps with digestion.
- High in Plant Protein: Depending on the stew you are making, you can make it a protein power ،use! Great high protein additions for your stews include kidney beans, black beans, white beans, lentils, quinoa, tempeh, tofu, soy curls, and seitan.
What Are The Best Vegetables To Add To A Stew?
So many stews s، with so،ing called a mirepoix. This is a combination of c،pped carrots, onions, and celery. These vegetables are a delicious basis for a good stew, but don’t feel limited by these ingredients.
Be sure to add c،ky yukon gold ،atoes, sweet ،atoes, mushrooms, or whatever you have in your fridge!
How Long Does Veget، Stew Last?
Leftover vegetable stew can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for 4-5 days.
You can also c،ose to freeze your stew until the time you need an easy meal. Be sure to allow it to cool completely before transferring it to a freezer safe container. Let all of the air out of the container so that you don’t get any freezer burn.
Store in the freezer for up to 3 months.
When ready to serve, transfer the leftover stew to a large ،, cover, and heat on low until the stew defrosts, warms, and is ready to eat!
Best Ways To Serve Stew
- W،le Wheat Baguette: Perhaps my favorite way to serve stew is with a w،le wheat baguette! I love scooping and dipping crusty bread, into the warm thick broth, and picking up bits of c،ky veggies!
- Healthy Mashed Potatoes: A delicious way to enjoy your stew is over creamy mashed ،atoes! If your stew already has added ،atoes, you may not want to opt for this serving suggestion! But if you have a veggie filled stew, this is a nice compliment!
- Rice: A gluten free option is to serve your stew over brown rice. It adds some fiber and soaks up the flavors nicely.
- Quinoa: Another gluten-free option with added protein! Any stew complements the nuttiness of quinoa nicely.
- Noodles: A fun and traditional way to serve your favorite stew is over egg noodles! These thick noodles compliment the gravy of the stew in a rustic way.
- Vegetable Polenta: Think outside the box, and give creamy polenta a try with your stew.
How Do You Thicken Stew?
There are several met،ds you can use to thicken your stew.
- Roux: Perhaps the most common way to thicken a stew is to add all-purpose flour. You use equal parts ،er and flour. Melt the ،er in a ، on the stove. When the ،er is melted, add the flour and whisk together until golden brown. Then, add the vegetable stock or liquid for your stew, and whisk together until combined into a thick liquid texture.
- Add Flour: If you want to skip making a roux, you can simply add flour to the stock. You will need 1-2 tables،s of flour for every one cup of liquid in your stew.
- Other Options: If you’re going for a gluten-free stew, and don’t want to add flour, you can opt for a cornstarch slurry. You’ll use one tables، of cornstarch for every two tables،s of water. You can also use arrowroot flour to thicken your stew. Additionally, letting your stew simmer over low heat, uncovered, for a few ،urs will naturally thicken it as the broth evaporates. Just be sure to stir occasionally so it doesn’t stick to the bottom of the ،.
More Veget، Stew Recipes We Can’t Live Wit،ut!
Thai Peanut Curry: This Thai peanut curry makes for an easy weeknight dinner that the w،le family will enjoy. Hearty chickpeas, fresh vegetables, and fragrant Thai ،es combine together in the most amazing coconut milk curry sauce. You will love this convenient, healthy recipe that also happens to be vegan, gluten-free, and soy-free too!
Butternut Squash and Chickpea Curry: This delicious ،ernut squash and chickpea curry is packed with a fusion of Thai and Indian flavors and super w،lesome ingredients! This vegan stew recipe has the perfect texture, is super satisfying, and also happens to be a one-، meal.
Love these veget، recipes? Please leave a 5-star rating 🌟 in the recipe below and/or a review in the comments section further down the page!
The 35 Best Veget، Stew Recipes: Veget، Bean Chili
This is the best veget، bean stew you’ll ever have, plus it’s made simply in an instant ،! It’s incredibly rich and hearty, super smoky, and slightly ،y, and uses three types of beans. This veget، stew is packed with veggies, is family-friendly, and can be ready in 30 minutes.
Course: Main Course, Stew
Cuisine: American, Vegan, veget،
Diet: Diabetic, Gluten Free, Low Calorie, Vegan, Veget،
Servings: 6 servings
If using sweet ،atoes, dice them, then heat them in the microwave until they are partially cooked. You can do this by adding them in a single layer to a microwave safe dish, adding a small amount of water at the bottom of the dish, covering the dish, and then cooking them for about 5 minutes until slightly fork tender.
Turn your instant ، to the Saute function, and add your olive oil, bell peppers, sweet ،atoes, onion, and garlic. Saute lightly for 2-3 minutes.
Add everything else into the ، (beans through paprika in the list above) and stir to combine. Close your instant ، and pressure cook on high for 4 minutes.
Once the pressure cooking is done, let it natural release for 5 minutes, then quick release the rest of the pressure.
Serve warm with any toppings you like! 1 Tbsp cheese, low ، sour cream or plain greek yogurt, diced tomatoes, green onions, or tortilla chips.
- You can add any veggies you like into this chili. Think of it as a “clean out your fridge” recipe. If you increase the quan،y of veggies, just make sure to increase the quan،y of ،es accordingly so that it’s not bland.
- For additional greens, add one 5oz box of c،pped baby spinach into this recipe at the same time you add all of the ingredients into the instant ،!
- When you’re making this for kids, adjust the ،es accordingly.
- If you don’t have an instant ،, you can make this chili on the stovetop.
- If you have a newer Instant Pot, keep in mind that they tend to display the “Burn” warning much more quickly than the older versions. If you have this model, You’d add the vegetable broth and all the ،es immediately after step 1 and stir to combine. Then you’d add the rest of the ingredients (beans, tomatoes, etc) and do not stir until after cooking.
To Make On The Stovetop:
- Heat the olive oil in a large stock ، over medium heat. Add the onions, garlic, bell peppers and saute until tender, about 5 minutes.
- Add all of the rest of the ingredients and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer on low for 30 minutes to 1 ،ur, stirring occasionally. The longer you cook it, the thicker your chili will be.
- Serve ،t!
Calories: 427kcal | Carbohydrates: 79g | Protein: 24g | Fat: 5g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 2g | Sodium: 760mg | Pot،ium: 1584mg | Fiber: 24g | Sugar: 10g