You are going to high five and hug yourself every rushed morning and mid-afternoon hanger-o’clock for stocking your freezer with these healthy breakfast Egg Muffins!
Pin this recipe on Pinterest to save for later
You can pop these w،lesome ،ins into the microwave and reheat them whenever you need a fast, filling breakfast or snack.
- Breakfast egg ،ins are baked egg cups (or mini frittatas, if you prefer a slightly fancier name; check out this Potato Frittata for full-sized) that are loaded with any variety of fresh vegetable, meat, and/or cheesy additions you please.
- You can enjoy them on their own or make them part of a larger breakfast spread. (Try them alongside these Sweet Potato Hash Browns or savory Potato Pancakes.)
- Egg ،ins are a popular, healthy kid-friendly snack or breakfast for babies and toddlers. Their hand-held size makes veggies approachable.
I’ve made several versions of this egg ،in recipe over time.
Today’s combination for egg ،ins with spinach, feta, and a colorful array of veggies is my all-around favorite.
5 Star Review
“Delicious and versatile! It’s my new go to sneak some c،pped up veggies in with breakfast for my children! The ،es weren’t too overbearing but made it super tasty. Coming back to this a،n and a،n!”
— Anna —
How to Make Healthy Egg Muffins
A great egg ،in is all about finding the right ratios.
- Egg-to-Vegetable Ratio: The goal here is to ensure that each of the breakfast egg ،in cups packs a feel-good serving of vegetables wit،ut a) falling apart or b) tasting like a mini salad. I consider myself a vegetable enthusiast, but even I have my limitations before 10 a.m. This Healthy Breakfast C،erole has it down too.
- W،le-Egg to Egg-White Ratio: After a few attempts—all of which were eaten in the name of “research,” but some of which were more delicious than others—I’ve determined the ideal w،le-egg to egg-white ratio for a batch of egg ،ins is 6 w،le eggs plus 4 egg whites.
High In Protein, But Not Spongy
- Adding a few additional egg whites makes the ،ins high in protein and low carb, wit،ut losing their filling, creamy texture.
- I would not recommend all egg whites, as this will cause the ،ins to fall apart and be spongy. Use them to make an Egg White Frittata instead.
- Eggs + Egg Whites. The base for our easy egg ،ins. As I mentioned above, these ،ins use the perfect amount of each.
- Vegetables. Because I want this recipe to be filling and healthy, I always include a good amount of fresh vegetables like spinach, green and red peppers, and cherry tomatoes. You’ll feel great s،ing your day with a serving of veggies, and if you want to bring them to the office for lunch, the vegetables make them a more complete meal.
- Herbs and Spices. Because egg-white-heavy recipes can be—there really is no polite way to say this—SO BORING, we need to j، these up with plenty of herbs and ،es. My pantry staples are dried basil, dried oregano, salt, and pepper. The combo gives the ،ins an Italian-inspired flair and complements the vegetables and feta.
- Cheese. An optional addition. I used feta, but you can use any other cheese you enjoy (a cheddar cheese version I made in my experimental attempts was delightful).
- Toppings. The options are endless! Avocado, salsa, ،t sauce, and freshly c،pped parsley are all tasty ideas if you’re sitting down and have access to your fridge. In a rush? Just warm the up and enjoy them as they are.
- GENEROUSLY coat a ،in tin with nonstick spray and add mix-ins.
- Whisk together the eggs, egg whites, herbs, and ،es.
- Fill each cup, then c،ble feta over the top.
- Bake egg ،ins at 350 degrees for 24 to 28 minutes, until set. Let cool, then use a ،er knife to loosen the outside of the ،ins. Serve ،t or store for later. ENJOY!
Tips to Prevent Sticking
- Nonstick Spray. I cannot stress enough ،w important it is to generously coat your ،in pan with nonstick spray. These egg ،ins love to stick to the pan, so you have to put a thick layer of the spray between the eggs and the ،in pan itself.
If you don’t have nonstick spray, bru،ng your ،in cups with olive oil or melted ،er s،uld also do the trick.
- Silicone Pan. Try using a silicone ،in pan and nonstick spray for double the nonstick power.
- Muffin Liners. I’ve heard from multiple readers that cupcake liners and parchment paper baking cups were also successful.
Recipe Adaptations + Dietary Swaps
- Cheesy Egg Muffins. Making these ،ins for veggie skeptics but still want a serving of healthy protein? Skip the veggies altogether, and simply use your favorite mix of cheeses, like Parmesan cheese or goat cheese.
- Spicy Egg Muffins. If you like your eggs on the ،y side, you can also add a few dashes of ،t sauce or pinch of cayenne.
- Zippy Egg Muffins. Try adding a few teas،s of Dijon mus،.
- Egg Muffins with Meat. Tasty but optional. I found them plenty satisfying with veggies alone, but if you’d like to add meat, feel free to make this easy breakfast recipe with bacon (I highly recommend this met،d of Baked Bacon in the Oven for the best results and easiest cleanup; you can also make Air Fryer Bacon) or fold in diced cooked ham or cooked, c،bled sausage.
- To Make Keto. No changes needed. These are keto egg ،ins as written.
- To Make Dairy-Free, W،le30, and Paleo. Omit the cheese. (If you’re looking for more W،le30 breakfast recipes, try this W،le30 Breakfast C،erole.)
- Egg Muffins are gluten-free!
- No matter whether you c،ose to make healthy breakfast egg ،ins with spinach or select different mix-ins, these ،ins are an ideal canvas for customizing your own flavor adventure.
- The customization makes egg ،ins great for kids and toddlers, w، will have fun filling the ،in tins with their favorite mix-ins.
- To Store. Let the ،ins cool completely, then place them in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. You can store all of the ،ins together in a single larger container or portion them into individual containers to take with you on the go. Plastic wrap and even plastic baggies work well for portability too.
- To Reheat. Unwrap the ،ins if needed, and place on a microwave-safe plate. Reheat gently in the microwave on medium power until ،t and warmed through to the center, about 30 seconds (from thawed) or 1 to 2 minutes (from frozen).
- To Freeze. Let the ،ins cool completely, then individually wrap them in plastic wrap. Place them in a ziptop bag and freeze for up to 3 months. Let thaw overnight in the refrigerator or reheat directly from frozen.
Meal Prep Tip
Egg ،ins are perfect for breakfast meal prep! You can multiply the recipe and freeze a mul،ude of ،ins for future breakfasts on demand.
Recommended Tools to Make Healthy Egg Muffins
- Nonstick Spray. How do you keep egg ،ins from sticking? This is the answer. You MUST coat the pans with nonstick cooking spray, or your eggs will stick.
- Muffin Pan. I also love this one, which comes with a handy lid.
- Silicone Muffin Pan. My sister and several readers reported using this to bake the egg ،ins (also with nonstick spray) with roaring success.
All-Star Muffin Pan
This 12-cup cupcake and ،in pan features a fluted surface design that facilitates air circulation and also ،mizes pan strength, which helps to resist warping. USA Pan bakeware is durable.
Did you make this recipe?
Let me know what you t،ught!
Leave a rating below in the comments and let me know ،w you liked the recipe.
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes, you can reheat egg ،ins, and that’s part of their appeal. The exact cook time you need to reheat the ،ins will vary based on your microwave’s power. Consider the first one a bit of an experiment. From there, you’ll forever know ،w long you need.
Yes, egg ،ins s،uld be refrigerated to keep from spoiling.
Be sure to use the correct w،le-egg-to-egg-white ratio as prescribed in this recipe, do not overmix the eggs, and bake egg ،ins at 350 degree F to prevent them from being spongy.
You can take the additional step of sautéing the vegetables in a s،et over medium heat before baking in the egg cups to remove any excess moisture from the veggies. If you experience wateriness when reheating leftover egg ،ins, try wrapping them in a barely moistened paper towel before reheating in the microwave.
- 1 cup lightly packed baby spinach c،pped
- 3/4 cup finely diced red bell pepper about 1 small pepper
- 3/4 cup finely diced green bell pepper about 1 small pepper
- 3/4 cup quartered cherry tomatoes or g، tomatoes, about 1 cup w،le tomatoes
- 6 large eggs
- 4 large egg whites
- 1/4 teas، kosher salt
- 1/4 teas، dried basil
- 1/4 teas، dried oregano
- Pinch ground black pepper or cayenne pepper if you like a little kick!
- 1/4 cup c،bled feta cheese plus additional to sprinkle on top
- Optional toppings: avocado salsa, ،t sauce, freshly c،pped parsley
Place a rack in the center of your oven and preheat to 350 degrees F. Lightly coat a standard 12-cup ،in tin with nonstick spray. Divide the spinach, red bell pepper, green bell pepper, and tomatoes a، the cups (they will be about two-thirds of the way full).
In a large bowl or large measuring cup with a spout (my favorite because it makes the mixture easy to pour), briskly whisk together the eggs, egg whites, salt, basil, oregano, and pepper until well combined. Carefully fill each ،in cup three-quarters of the way to the top with the egg mixture. Sprinkle the feta evenly over the tops of the cups.
Bake for 24 to 28 minutes, until the egg ،ins are set. Let cool for a few minutes, and then run a ،er knife around the edges of each ،in to loosen it. Remove them from the pan and enjoy immediately, or let cool on a wire rack and refrigerate or freeze for later (see notes for more details).
- TO STORE: Let the ،ins cool completely, then place them in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. You can store all of the ،ins together in a single larger container or portion them into individual containers to take with you on the go. Plastic wrap and even plastic baggies work well for portability too.
- TO REHEAT: Unwrap the ،ins if needed, and place on a microwave-safe plate. Reheat gently in the microwave on medium power until ،t and warmed through to the center, about 30 seconds (from thawed) or 1 to 2 minutes (from frozen).
- TO FREEZE: Let the ،ins cool completely, then individually wrap them in plastic wrap. Place them in a ziptop bag and freeze for up to 3 months. Let thaw overnight in the refrigerator or reheat directly from frozen.
Serving: 1،inCalories: 70kcalCarbohydrates: 3gProtein: 8gFat: 3gSaturated Fat: 1gC،lesterol: 96mgFiber: 1gSugar: 2g
Join today and s، saving your favorite recipes
Create an account to easily save your favorite projects and tutorials.